• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harden's guides now online

Can anybody tell me what the "UK Style rating" is in the printed guide? I have a copy but can't find any reference to what that rating refers to or how it is calculated. If I remember correctly it is mainly applied to restaurants outside of London.

I like the guide in general and is a good pointer if you are in an area you don't know well but I sometimes feel that the ratings are easily swayed by regulars at a particular place.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

If you look on the left hand side towards the bottom it allows you to search by rating, and from this you can figure what the numbers mean. The ratings go from 1 to 5 with 1 being the best and 5 being the worst, the first of the three numbers is for the food, the second is for service and the third for atmosphere. Hope this helps Bertie.

Best,

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Bertie, when you click on the box to select the level of resturant your looking for, it drops down with the scores and what they mean (1) Exceptional (2) Very Good etc.

Matthew...As for the style thing,i really don't know what your on about.Where does it appear in the book?

Bertie, when you click on the box to select the level of resturant your looking for, it drops down with the scores and what they mean (1) Exceptional (2) Very Good etc.

Hmm, but that wasn't the way I went into it, so its not exactly intuitive that you have to look at a search form to the left to see what the figures in front of you on the main pane mean.

Hardens online guides, meet Jakob Nielsen

(oh and thanks Basildog and Ravelda for explaining it to me--Jeeves is off today)

Edited by BertieWooster (log)

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Matthew...As for the style thing,i really don't know what your on about.Where does it appear in the book?

Have a look at some of the restaurants outside of London, some of them have a star with a UK Style rating in the middle of it. This is in the printed edition, I have a reporters copy if that makes any difference?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have the reporters edition.The only symbols in mine are stars for cooking and red "A"s for atmospheric places.

Hey B-Dog (I thought I'd restyle you into some sort of Padstow Hip-Hop Gangster chef), you'll be pleased to know that you get a UK-style rating of A**

Of course you may also be completely unthrilled as none of us knows what it actually means! :laugh:

I'm sure that Richard Harden is on here sometimes, please can you let me know what it actually means and how it is judged? :wacko:

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)