• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blood oranges ... a wonder to behold and to taste

Gifted Gourmet

blood orange marmalade! it's so pretty

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I'm really fond of candied blood orange slices. The recipe here as part of a larger dish works beautifully.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Gifted, those are beautiful. 

I love making a blood orange sauce out of them.  Juice and zest, simmered together for 30 minutes; I add a bit of cream and (very, very light) chicken stock; very gently reduce to a glaze; and mount with butter.  Sometimes, if the sugar content of the fruit was not optimal, I have resorted to sweetening it very carefully.  I served it most commonly with firm fish, such as red grouper.

I also enjoy making granites and sorbets with the fruit.

I used your method last night, using heavy cream plus chicken stock, adding salt, pepper, a splash of white balsamic vinegar to which I added lemongrass long ago, pinch of red pepper flakes and a good bit of cumin. Dad used to make orange-cumin bread a long time ago, and the flavors work really well together. Served on broiled salmon atop a bed of quinoa, alongside asparagus I pan-cooked until slightly carmelized, with a splash of (dark) balasmic, and a salad of fennel, (regular navel) oranges, baby spinach and celery root (was going to use jicama but store was out). It was a delicious, healthy meal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely do it again. I also use blood oranges for attractive vinaigrettes.

I have really enjoyed sorbets made with blood orange juice and a syrup with rose water. The fresh sharpness of the blood orange and the scented flavour of the rose water work better together than they have any right to...

omg, blood oranges and rosewater are two of my favorite things!! please share your sorbet recipe!!

thanks!!

I got the recipe from the second Moro cookbook

It's that rare sequel that's better than the original. I am pretty new to this site and ignorant about copyright on recipes. I don't know whether I can copy it out? It couldn't be simpler though. It's a syrup made with rosewater and sugar. Then the juice of blood oranges, lemon and some orange zest. Much recommended.

Braised Belgian Endives with Blood Orange - Halve an endive (keep the root end to hold it all together while it's cooking), sear it in a pan on each side, toss in a knob of butter and the juice and zest from half a blood orange. Lower the heat to low, cover, braise 15-20 minutes. (You could toss the pan in a 325 oven, too.)

Serve it alonside a blood-orange/fennel slaw. Slice a fennel bulb, saute in a pan with some sliced red onion, add the other half of the blood orange's juice along with some rice vinegar, season, serve room temperature.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne