• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NRA lists top "un-trendy" foods for 2007

The National Restaurant Association just listed their top trends for 2007, which I imagine is getting lots of media attention. The Press Release from NRA

I was, however, far more interested in their list of items that are "receiving less interest", kind of an anti-trendy roundup.

Here's the relevant paragraph from the release:

"Topping the list of items receiving less interest are Scandinavian cuisine, starfruit, organ meats/sweetbreads, Ethiopian cuisine, kiwi, edible flowers/rose petals, blackened items, low-carb dough, soda bread and fruit soups. Other items on the non-trendy list include German cuisine, taro, low-carb items, foams, okra, vichyssoise, meat salad, consommé, catfish and cold soups."

Interesting mix, from recent personal faves okra and catfish to (obvious) contenders from the low-carb arena, to "Ethiopian cuisine"(!). Yikes.

Andrea

in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

"Topping the list of items receiving less interest are Scandinavian cuisine, starfruit, organ meats/sweetbreads, Ethiopian cuisine, kiwi, edible flowers/rose petals, blackened items, low-carb dough, soda bread and fruit soups. Other items on the non-trendy list include German cuisine, taro, low-carb items, foams, okra, vichyssoise, meat salad, consommé, catfish and cold soups."

I'm either way ahead of the curve, or completely out of it, but I won't miss any of the above? :hmmm:

SB (most likely "out of it") :rolleyes:

I'm either way ahead of the curve, or completely out of it, but I won't miss any of the above? :hmmm:

SB (most likely "out of it") :rolleyes:

Dude. Come to DC for the weekend. We'll have you missing Ethiopian cuisine by the time you leave.

And consumme -- has it been "in"since the 50's? I don't think so. Is the fact that people aren't smart enough to eat it whenever they can get it (or chefs aren't devoted enough to do it right) a damning commentary on our cooking? Definitely!

And the fewer people trying tomunch my sweetbreads, the better.

As to the hot list:

"bite-sized desserts, locally grown produce, organic produce, bottled water, flatbread, specialty sandwiches, Asian appetizers, espresso/specialty coffees, whole grain bread, and Mediterranean cuisine. Additional items rated as hot include pan-seared items, fresh herbs, Latin American cuisine, exotic mushrooms, grilled items, salts, grass-fed items, pomegranates, aged meat, and blue/gorgonzola cheese..."

I think we're going to party like it's 1989.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Dude. Come to DC for the weekend.  We'll have you missing Ethiopian cuisine by the time you leave.

Minneapolis has a large Somali community. Is the cusine similar to Ethiopian?

As to the hot list:

"bite-sized desserts, locally grown produce, organic produce, bottled water, flatbread, specialty sandwiches, Asian appetizers, espresso/specialty coffees, whole grain bread, and Mediterranean cuisine. Additional items rated as hot include pan-seared items, fresh herbs, Latin American cuisine, exotic mushrooms, grilled items, salts, grass-fed items, pomegranates, aged meat, and blue/gorgonzola cheese..."

Make that 1969 and I'll be there! :wacko:

SB (likes produce, flatbread, espresso, whole grain and pomegranates)

I always kind of assume the NRA is more representative of McFunsters, Applebee's and the like. Based on these lists, though, they seem to be all over the place. Blackened anything? That was so 80s. And foams? Don't tell Marcel. :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

The National Restaurant Association just listed their top trends for 2007, which I imagine is getting lots of media attention.  The Press Release from NRA

..."Topping the list of items receiving less interest are...

...foams, okra, vichyssoise, meat salad, consommé, catfish and cold soups."

Interesting mix, from recent personal faves okra and catfish to (obvious) contenders from the low-carb arena, to "Ethiopian cuisine"(!).  Yikes.

Andrea

in Albuquerque

:shock: Oh My God ~We have entire chains of restaurants from coast to coast operating solely on the sale of catfish and okra. Ok so maybe more like some places dotted around the city serve it and a ramshackle spot or two down by the Ole Man River banks. But no one in Elvis-town is less interested in catfish and okra~~wtf~~that's just not nice. I'm crushed. So where's the collard greens? So I wonder what they would define as soul food anyway.

:rolleyes:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Dude. Come to DC for the weekend.  We'll have you missing Ethiopian cuisine by the time you leave.

Minneapolis has a large Somali community. Is the cusine similar to Ethiopian?

As to the hot list:

Make that 1969 and I'll be there! :wacko:

SB (likes produce, flatbread, espresso, whole grain and pomegranates)

Although the Somalis are a fairly recognizable group in DC, as they've taken over a significant share of the taxi business , they haven't carved out a neighborhood or a restaurant niche, so I can't compare. Ethiopian is characterized by spicy stew-type preparations and is eaten not with utensils but with bits of injera, a malty, elastic bread roughly the shape but not nearly the texture of an uncooked pizza crust.

I'm on the pavement

Although the Somalis are a fairly recognizable group in DC, as they've taken over a significant share of the taxi business , they haven't carved out a neighborhood or a restaurant niche, so I can't compare.  Ethiopian is characterized by spicy stew-type preparations and is eaten not with utensils but with bits of injera, a malty, elastic bread roughly the shape but not nearly the texture of an uncooked pizza crust.

I like Ethiopian very much, regardless of what year it happens to be. :biggrin:

Last time I was in DC I chatted up one of the Somali taxi drivers, and he recommended this place for Somali food.

I didn't have time to go. You wouldn't want to grab your family and trot right over there and try it for me, would you? I'd appreciate that kindly. :smile:

(Besides, you *might* start a trend for 2008! :wink: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Although the Somalis are a fairly recognizable group in DC, as they've taken over a significant share of the taxi business , they haven't carved out a neighborhood or a restaurant niche, so I can't compare.  Ethiopian is characterized by spicy stew-type preparations and is eaten not with utensils but with bits of injera, a malty, elastic bread roughly the shape but not nearly the texture of an uncooked pizza crust.

I like Ethiopian very much, regardless of what year it happens to be. :biggrin:

Last time I was in DC I chatted up one of the Somali taxi drivers, and he recommended this place for Somali food.

I didn't have time to go. You wouldn't want to grab your family and trot right over there and try it for me, would you? I'd appreciate that kindly. :smile:

(Besides, you *might* start a trend for 2008! :wink: )

I'll see what I can do for you. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

I just got back from Miami, where I ate in two hot restaurants whose specialty is sweetbreads (and I did my best to try to eat my body weight in them). And inbetween, I had tongue for lunch one day.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Strange... After years of neglect, Scandinavian has the beginnings of possible trendiness in Seattle, with the re-imagination of an old dive bar as a hip Scandinavian-themed cocktail lounge, complete with Aquavit concoctions and pickled herring. And a German beer/restaurant project is approaching mini-chain status. And we've somewhat recently become home to a "cute" Ethiopian restaurant with a slightly less austere-than-usual interior in the form of Cafe Soleil.

Latin American cuisine, while not at all dying, is so 4 years ago here.

Maybe we continue to operate in a trend vortex in Seattle.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 2 weeks later...
Strange... After years of neglect, Scandinavian has the beginnings of possible trendiness in Seattle, with the re-imagination of an old dive bar as a hip Scandinavian-themed cocktail lounge, complete with Aquavit concoctions and pickled herring. And a German beer/restaurant project is approaching mini-chain status. And we've somewhat recently become home to a "cute" Ethiopian restaurant with a slightly less austere-than-usual interior in the form of Cafe Soleil.

Latin American cuisine, while not at all dying, is so 4 years ago here.

Maybe we continue to operate in a trend vortex in Seattle.

In Pittsburgh, we just hold onto things until they're "cool" again. Although we're still waiting on a massive comeback for Serbian and Polish fine dining.

We knew Ethiopian was out as a trend soon as we got our first Ethiopian place in town in 2005. Since we now have a churrasco counter at our Giant Eagle supermarket and an actual Mexican restaurant without numbers next to the dishes, gotta think Latin food is on the way out too :wink:

(That said, I personally think acqavit is the reason the suicide rates are so high in Scandanavia :shock: )

Still, we do have one espresso joint that's pretty good.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

How boring being told whats in or out in gastronomy. Especially since I'm Scandinavian, when its more in the wind to be Latin...

Bergen! Forget Latin! You have the wonderful seafood at the restaurants along the harbor--and those cocked-hatted wooden houses climbing up the hill like SF's Telegraph Hill used to be.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

• 4 weeks later...
How boring being told whats in or out in gastronomy. Especially since I'm Scandinavian, when its more in the wind to be Latin...

Bergen! Forget Latin! You have the wonderful seafood at the restaurants along the harbor--and those cocked-hatted wooden houses climbing up the hill like SF's Telegraph Hill used to be.

True, Bergen is a beutiful town. But Im seriously considering moving and continuing my culinary career elsewhere as there is almost no fresh fish to be had here. Its a shame and a disgrace. The freshest fish one can get here is farmed and the worlds best cod is always approx 5 days old. But the houses are great!

• 2 weeks later...