• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Date Pudding

get in my belly

Hi everyone ! :wub: Im doin a couple parties this weekend . Wondered if anyone had some kickin recipes they would be willing to share for Date Pudding . This is a home affair so i only need small batch :biggrin: Thank you sooooooooo much . Any variation is appritiated too , thanks in advance-GIMB

Ive done a little home work called my Mom and looked on the internet and found a bunch , but im really lookin for something that has been loved and passed down . Trust me I realize the secrecy of family recipes . You'll have to pry the creme brulee recipe I know out of my cold lifeless hands . :raz: Or just ask :biggrin: Thanks for helpin a novice baker :wink:

Sorry, I have not tried it, but am intrigued. Please describe.

:shock:

well its a thick rich heavy .....kinda like a heavy cake sorta thingy :wub: Its so good . Ill try to get a pic up here to show ya .

Edited by get in my belly (log)

There has been a thread on sticky toffee pudding already.

This is the recipe I use, but I make a real caramel sauce instead of doing the brown sugar/cream sauce.

sticky toffee pudding

Hi ling its been awhile :smile: My grandmother always called it date pudding I never knew there was another name. Sorry for the re-thread . Is that a recipe that you have used and have luck with , is it fluffy or dense . Thanks....

^It's not as dense as, say, pound cake, or as light as angel food or chiffon cake...it has a similar moistness and density as carrot cake, I guess.

yea ....the pictures on the net that Ive been seeing look simular to carrot cake , but im trying to recreate my grandmothers Pudding . It was Very dense , very sticky. I was thinking of leaving out the baking soda so it comes out heavy . I kinda want and enjoy the contrast between fluffy whipped cream and heavy rich pudding . Her Pudding was always crunchy on top also hmmmmmmmm? I guess ill just have to experiment ......shucks :biggrin: Any tips you ar anyone else can give me to achive such a style of sticky pudding would be much appritiated .......thanks pastry kitchen . :smile: