• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sprouting Chickpeas

Forest

Anyone have any good information on sprouting chickpeas?

I've looked online and got some different advice. I'm assuming that you just soak for awhile, put in a sprouter and then rinse from time to time. If anyone knows any other instructions please let me know.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should not eat raw chickpea sprouts - that they should be cooked first. (but I can't remember/find where I saw that). Anyone know if it's true?

Finally, if anyone has any good recipes that called for chickpea sprouts, I'd love to see them.

Thanks!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I've sprouted them just like you described - let them go just until they send out the first root. Except for soybeans that can mold very easily, I think that everything can be sprouted with a soak and rinse regimen. Lentils are good too.

I'm afraid I lack recipe ideas. I just throw them in green, potato, and pasta salads. I've never cooked them, although now I'm wondering if I should.

-L

In my copy of Paula Wolferts' marevelous Mediterranean Grains and GReens (think that's the proper title), there is a recipe I've been meaning to test my bread making mettle on - it's a Greek bread, I believe?, that uses a fermented chickpea batter as the 'starter'. It sounds really tasty - and tricky - but certainly a novel use (in my mind) of spouted chickpeas!

Cacao

Thanks for the info & suggestions, everyone!

lperry - I'm thinking I would prefer them raw, too. I was thinking they would be a nice big sprout that could add some good crunch to a salad. I did some more looking online and the only things I can come up with re: the health concerns of uncooked sprouts is a few references to the FDA suggesting sprouts as a source of EColi and a few references to "toxins" in uncooked sprouts. However, none of the toxin references seemed to come from really reliable sites. So, I'm just going to give it a go and make sure I wash them well and rinse them often before eating

cacao: let me know how the bread turns out. I remember quite some time ago, my dad telling me he had been making bread from his fresh sprouts and it was really tasty. I'm not much of a bread maker, so I didn't note the recipe at the time. But, I do like sprouts, so it might be worth a try, if it's good!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Thanks for the info & suggestions, everyone!

lHowever, none of the toxin references seemed to come from really reliable sites. 

I've made various sprouted legumes and not gotten sick. I think the only one that really has to be cooked is kidney beans--I've read about their toxins a number of times, and think it's probably true.