• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The perfect French vinaigrette

kiliki

Last month in Paris I had the most perfect vinaigrette over a salad of haricot verts and mushrooms at Cafe Constant. The vinaigrette did not taste too much of vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, mustard, or herbs. It was perfectly balanced with no one flavor standing out. It was like crack-I could not get enough of this salad. I ordered Christian Constant's english language cookbook (Everyday French Cooking) but there is no vinaigrette recipe there.

I've made a number of french vinaigrettes, from recipes, and none came close to this one. I know there are many more I could try but rather than make 20 vinaigrettes over the next few days, I thought I'd ask here. So, I am either looking for recipes or formulas, or just tips on what you think might be essential to a great one (what kind of vinegar? raw egg yolk? etc). I'd love to make this salad for thanksgiving.

I don't think the key is the ingredients themselves, or a recipe or formula, but as you said, balancing it all.

My favourite vinaigrette was a lemon shallot vinaigrette - ingredients were Lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil, shallots, fresh herbs, and a little honey if you'd like. Oh, and salt of course.

Good luck with your quest.

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

the best vinaigrette

1/2 clove crushed garlic mashed with course salt

1 tbl dijon mustard

1 tbl red wine or sherry vinegar

4 tbl best quality extra virgin olive oil

blend mashed garlic with vinegar and wisk in mustard

drizzle in olive oil while wisking.

dressing should be thick and emulsified

the best vinaigrette

1 tbl dijon mustard

I think this is spot on, but I would use 2 tablespoons of vinegar (red wine, sherry or tarragon).

the best vinaigrette

1 tbl dijon mustard

I think this is spot on, but I would use 2 tablespoons of vinegar (red wine, sherry or tarragon).

I tried your recipe for vinaigrette today and it was excellent. I also made a second dressing substituting your choice of vinegars for 1 tablespoon of late harvest reisling vinegar...I have a little sweet tooth when I eat greens

A little bit of sweetness is often the secret trick in most vinagrettes. Honey, sugar, balsamic etc. Just a dab can really elevate a vinagrette.

There is a whole topic here devoted to the sweet component of vinaigrette right here.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

A little bit of sweetness is often the secret trick in most vinagrettes. Honey, sugar, balsamic etc. Just a dab can really elevate a vinagrette.

There is a whole topic here devoted to the sweet component of vinaigrette right here.

A thing I've recently learned is to use WHITE balsamic vinegar. The regular balsamic is too sweet for me & putting sugar in just goes against my predjucies. The white balsamic seems to just take the edge off with a hint of sweetness.

Sherry vinegar is still my favorite, but Linda finds it a bit to harsh for her taste.

• 3 weeks later...