• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Locating Your Turkey Farm

Chris Amirault

The last two years, we've been fortunate to find a good turkey within an hour's drive, at Ekonk Hill Turkey Farm. But now there's a new way to find turkeys near you: MapMuse's turkey farm locator.

I used this and immediately found Ekonk Hill, which is in eastern CT, on their map. Are your farms here? Do you find this a useful tool?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Well, the farm I am getting this years turkey from is not on the site. Nor is the old farm I used to get our turkeys from in NJ. But, it's still a cool tool. Hopefully some people will realize how much better a fresh local turkey is compared to those frozen factory turkeys...

gobble gobble... :biggrin:

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

We put in our order for Ekonk Hill a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think that they kill them to order, so to speak. It's more of a reservation system.

And I can't speak for any other farms, but the turkey we've had from there has been a very different bird than other places. They've tasted better than the local Whole Foods, frankly.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris, are you roasting or smoking :wub: your turkey?

I was disappointed to see that there is not place to get a "home grown" turkey within 100 miles of my home, although I get can all sorts of other meats locally. Do we have a clue how this list is compiled? I happen to know of a couple of places that are much closer, but aren't listed, so is this a subscriber (meaning the turkey place) listed.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The place I used to get my turkey is there, but it has already been a few years since they went out of business. Nice idea, but like so many things on the internet, difficult to keep current.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz