• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen stores

In2Pastry

I am in the process of putting together a business plan to open a kitchenware store in my area and would like to hear your comments, suggestions, ideas or advise on opening such a store. I want to cover the range from baking to cooking to sugarart. There isn't anything offered here except what can be found in our big box stores. I will be offering classes in both cooking, baking, cake decorating, sugarart, book signings, hosting local chefs and more. I would like to make this a "destination store".

Thank you.

I appreciate any feedback. :smile:

i would pm gfron1. he lives in new mexico and owns his own store which sounds similar to what you are wanting to open. maybe he can help as he's a wonderfully open and friendly presence in the baking and pastry forum.

I am in the process of putting together a business plan to open a kitchenware store in my area and would like to hear your comments, suggestions, ideas or advise on opening such a store. I want to cover the range from baking to cooking to sugarart. There isn't anything offered here except what can be found in our big box stores. I will be offering classes in both cooking, baking, cake decorating, sugarart, book signings, hosting local chefs and more. I would like to make this a "destination store".

Thank you. 

I appreciate any feedback.  :smile:

I would love to have a store that carries professional quality chocolate/confectionary supplies. High quality chocolate molds, different types of sugar (ie invert sugar), a selection of high quality chocolate (it would be great if you can do bulk orders), transfer sheets, usually cookbooks, tempering machines, etc.

I second good chocolates,investigating a new area of the world every month and showcasing it w/recipes, and good vanilla as well. forms of all kinds, cookie, molds, cakes etc. Wafer paper aka rice paper, what a pita to find...salts, w/recipes on how to use them in baked goods (flur de sol carmels (sp), Dorie Greenspans's World Peace Cookies for example). Cheese...for sweets as well as savory.

Hard to find? don't sell cheap 1 1/2 " deep pans, they can get them anywhere. Sell at least 2" sides and explain the difference. There are too many recipies in good cookbooks that have been thrown out because people do not have the right pans.

Sillpats, those things I put around the sides..what the hell are they called, and PARCHMENT..pre cut in ALL sizes.

Basic cooking: I like Le Creouset (sp, probably, I know..I'm lobbying to have spell check here!) but I also like very lite plastic bowls. I know, I know, heavy bowls are great, but try lifting them to the mixer while you're making a cake that requires you mix liquid and dry in thirds, or fourths....I found a great little measured batter bowl in melemane that has saved my life. Now if someone would make one that was for dry measure, but with a pouring spout...I would be her friend for life. (why is this cat so draped on my left hand? anyone who has one, please let me know, I think she's jealous of the computer..makes it hard to type..now she's biting..old b...")

Quality and unknown/poorly known. Not saying that this would make a profitable shop, but in answer to your question, I'd love a store that had... knives that are usually limited to a Japanese knife shop (Chinese cleavers too) , high end tools like a paco jet, sous-vide gear, IOW, stuff that isn't easy to find.

Oh, and I'd also be drawn to classes.

I've love to see a kitchen store that combined all the really cheap stuff (utensils, bowls, pots, etc.) found in local restaurant supply stores around here with the nicer stuff found at BBB, Williams-Sonoma, etc. (which I usually only window shop at), with cooking demos (Whole Foods has a lot of demos). Pastry stuff would be nice, but around here I think there's only one or two shops that specialize in that (mostly cake stuff).

The problems I have with the current stores around here that I mentioned above:

Restaurant supply shops: Warehouse feel, only a couple of staff seem to know or care much about food.

BBB, WS: Cater to (somewhat affluent and above) amateur cooks. Staff isn't particularly knowledgeable either.

WF: Too f'ing expensive!

I feel like johnsmith45678 hit the nail on the head. You don't need $40 mixing bowls; the cheap stainless steel ones at restaurant supply places are perfect, as are the whisks, cutting boards, etc.

Intelligent signs would be a nice touch. Not everyone can afford to buy an entire line of high-end cookware, but knowing the practical differences between Shun, Wusthof, and Chicago Cutlery, or between Mauviel, All-Clad, and Sitram, say, would be a boon. If someone is getting an entire line of Mauviel, they're doing it for a variety of reasons that will not be deterred by a sign indicating that a Sitram saucier makes sense for someone who mainly boils potatoes.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I feel like johnsmith45678 hit the nail on the head. You don't need $40 mixing bowls; the cheap stainless steel ones at restaurant supply places are perfect

Not even copper ones? :raz: Ironically, I think the only places I've seen them are at local restaurant supply shops (but they also have the really cheap stainless steel ones, which I buy).

My favorite kitchen store (the fantastic Prydes Old Westport in Kansas City, MO) offers fresh hot coffee or tea in glass mugs as soon as you walk in the door. That's a small thing, but such a nice touch. I'm a sucker for little details, so I also adore the beautiful job they do of gift-wrapping, and thus I go there any time I need a wedding/shower gift.

Also - staff who are obviously passionate about food and cooking. I've learned a ton just be eavesdropping on the staff's conversations, and today they gave my mom some pretty sound advice about All-Clad vs. Cuisinart stainless steel stuff.

Knife sharpening is a great suggestion. My store doesn't do this.

Have a small, but relevant and well thought out cookbook selection.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

When starting with a small shop, it's difficult (and very expesive/bad for margin) to stock everything and I'd echo what folks said about having a good selection of basic tools and some high end stuff. Knife sharpening is a must as are knowledgeable staff.

One thing that many shops fall short on is the ability to special order. If you can develop the practice with your suppliers, being able to get that high-end sous vide gear etc on order might be a nice compromise. I had one shop back home that was outstanding with S/Os and now that I'm not able to use them anymore, I really feel the lack.

I would love to see a store that offered used kitchen appliances and tools for sale. Students here at our university won an award for the business plan for one but so far no one has started one.

Just think -- cleaning out your cupboards to find loving homes for those working appliances or tools you no longer need or have out grown? Think of going to a single shop instead of combing the thrift stores to find that elusive tool or appliance to try out a new recipe? ... or maybe a used cookbook section?

Edited by Kayakado (log)

Wow, thank you so much for all the feedback, please don't stop..... :wink:

Alanamoana- thank you, I didn't realize gfron1 had a store. I will check that out.

Milagai- Knife sharpening is a real plus! Great idea!

Annachan- we are on the same page! Thank you

Highchef- terrific suggestions and I will take them into consideration for sure!!

Unconundrum- nothing around here would ever come close to having a Paco Jet! Great Idea!!

Johnsmith45678- I do want to carry less expensive items along with the nicer, harder to access items. We do have a couple restaurant supply stores, but the public doesn't really know they can go to them (which will be great for my store :raz: ) I want the serious home cook to the professional to walk in and feel comfortable and be able to find items that wow them.

Chrisamirault- great idea on the signs, I love the idea! Another chance to educate the consumer.

Dividend- I agree, a beverge offered when coming in the door is a great touch. In fact I already have that one on my list. I like the little details too, as the saying goes "It's all in the details".

IlCuoco- I will definately do the special orders! I'm not sure if this town even knows about special orders! :wink: At least when I need something they don't.

Kayakado- used kitchen appliances is a great idea, but I don't think it would work with what I want to convey. I will leave that up to someone else.

Thank you so much everyone for the responses! This is helping me a great deal. Please, if there are more suggestions or advise, I'm all ears!!!! (well, kinda)