• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters, Oysters Where?

rooftop1000

Or does one not slurp in Paris :smile:

In Percyn's thread in General Foods he tucked a picture of large quantities of seafood in between a croissant and lunch at Le Cinq. Now unless something wonderfull happens in the next 2 weeks I wont be getting that lunch but we do intend on having an oyster etc feast.

So the question is where do You go for the best seafood meal, rawbar experience?

Tracey

(did I really misspell seafood twice? both different)

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

So the question is where do You go for the best sefood meal, rawbar experience?

Tracey

On the suggestion of Le Zouave, I've been several times to l'Ecailler du Bistrot in the 11th where the Utah Beaches are fantastic (and seafood there is OK too) esp. just before lunch at Temps Au Temps; equally good before eating at Drouant is/are the oysters are Gerard Depardieu's l'Ecaille de la Fontaine; but for several dozen as a stand-alone meal I like Huitrier in the 17th, although I haven't been in a while, mainly because my oyster guy at the Nord-Sud in the 18th has terrific Oleron ones.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

A related question:

In Paris -- and other larger French cities -- you can't walk more than a few blocks in a commercial neighborhood without seeing a seafood cafe with crates of bivalves stacked and on display and massive shelves of crushed ice on which rest fresh crustacians, ready for deploy along with the Chablis, White Bordeaux or Muscadet of your choice. My question: can you drop into these places more or less at random and expect fresh, simple and tasty seafood? Or are they hit-or-miss?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

My question: can you drop into these places more or less at random and expect fresh, simple and tasty seafood?  Or are they hit-or-miss?

Well, you know, I've been to a lot of them over the years and while I may like X over Y, I've never had a real miss. I mean, if my local dumpy brasserie, the Nord-Sud, so-called because it was once the Northern terminus of the largely N-S #12 line, has good bivalves, how can one miss? I listed the places I did because of proximity to great restos, the great Utah's and what I think is a classy place, but good oysters can be had at any you pass - Le Dome, Terminus Nord, Marty, Wepler - well the list goes on.

John Talbott

Immediately came to mind, it's not a 3 star, but a fun seafood restaurant. They have 3 locations, and they have about 10 kinds of oysters, as well as crabs, cockles, whelks, and really fresh fish. Of course the name is Le Bar a Huitres

They are in the 3rd, 5th and 14th. Check the website. If you have sound, put it on as you watch the photos change and your mouth starts to water!

Le Bar a Huitres Website

If you have sound, put it on as you watch the photos change and your mouth starts to water!

Ah well, if it's sound you're looking for, visit the L’Ecume St-Honore, 6 rue du Marche-Saint-Honore in the 1st, where the sounds of seagulls and surf, as the late lamented Zurban review noted, almost drive you nutz. Oysters pretty good too.

John Talbott

• 4 weeks later...

After aproaching John Talbott with more than a few questions in PM we got it together to meet up for dinner. We left it to him to chose the location with the requirement being, guess.....oysters :cool:

Large quantities of seafood known and unknown to us,oysters, crab, langostines, and bulots(snails). All fresh and wonderfull with a few bottles of wine great desserts and a few hours of wonderfull conversation with a well travelled gentleman.

ooops we went here

http://www.la-mascotte-montmartre.com/rest...nt/takeaway.htm

tracey

n

karl

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 4 weeks later...

There was an interesting bit on NPR (National Public Radio) yesterday about oysters in Paris and particularly La Cabane Aux Huîtres in Montparnesse. You can listen to it by clicking on the link at the NPR site Here

Edited by hughw (log)

There was an interesting bit on NPW yesterday about oysters in Paris and particularly La Cabane Aux Huîtres in Montparnesse. You can listen to it by clicking on the link at the NPR site Here

Thanks so much Hugh, that's a great piece, esp the tip to throw away the 'first water" and let the oyster produce the more succulent later liquid. We'll try it Friday.

John Talbott

There was an interesting bit on NPW yesterday about oysters in Paris and particularly La Cabane Aux Huîtres in Montparnesse. You can listen to it by clicking on the link at the NPR site Here

Thanks so much Hugh, that's a great piece, esp the tip to throw away the 'first water" and let the oyster produce the more succulent later liquid. We'll try it Friday.

Yes, thank you Hugh. Has anyone been to La Cabane Aux Huîtres? It sounds great.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Le Bar a Huitres . . . They are in the 3rd, 5th and 14th. 

we went to the location in the 5th last night. Most excellent!

Had the Fin de Clair No 1 and the specials that week Les Perles No 2.

Both, really really good. The shallot vinegar was good too.

Then we had the langostines, grilled. What tasty sweet little morsels they were.

Even the creme brulee was better than average.

Service was a very pleasant young man. And, seating, for Paris, spacious.

Definately Recommended.

k!

• 1 year later...

Well, my goodness, we haven't been to l'Huitrier (16, rue Sausier-Leroy, 17th, 01.40.54.83.44, closed Sundays and Mondays) in a dog's age. But we needed a place to go for lunch where we could eat light and still have room for ribs and such for dinner. It looks pretty much the same today* as it did umpteen years ago when we were regulars; great display of oysters and other shellfish outside - I know, I know - June hardly has a "r" in it, but..... We ordered a dozen #3 speciales and they were plump and good, along with an order of fried anchovies. Then we three had three mains: my suppions had a taste of antique frying oil I found strange but my wife and friend did not; they split an OK daurade with olive oil and gambas a la plancha, both of which I deemed alright but not heavenly. With two bottles of Muscadet, three coffees, one prune and no bottled water the bill was 181.00 Euros.

*Our last meal was June 26th, fully paid for.

John Talbott