• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First date for Coffee near Grand Central

mascarpone

There is an Oren's Coffee inside Grand Central Station. No seating inside the shop but plenty at the food court. Not exactly romantic or a conventional date spot but it could be fun to grab a cup of coffee then walk through the market on before grabbing some seats downstairs.

There's a place on Park Ave Sout just below the Helmsley Building - not too far from GCT - Timothy's or World Coffee - something like that. I recall that it's as crappy as Starbucks in most respects but the coffee doesn't taste burnt.

If they don't mind walking a few blocks beyond GCT how about

Zibetto Espresso Bar

It's near 56th Street and Sixth Ave and is rumored to have the best espresso in Manhattan above Union Square. I haven't tried it but that's what a few informed folks tell me.