• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Warren Kitchen & Cutlery

woodburner

We go all the time. Huge selection of knives, not to mention all kinds of professional cooking tools. They cater to CIA students, so they tend to the more functional, less gimicky tools. Though I don't bring my knives in for sharpening, I always hear them sharpening when I go in.

The selection of knives is larger than pretty much anywhere else I have been. In addition to kitchen knives, they sell hunting knives, carving tools, decorative knives, pretty much everything. If you are up in the area, they are worth the trip for sure.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Warren is /the/ place for the CIA students, as they sharpen CIA knife kits for free -- and they do a great job.

There's "the kitchen drawer" closer in hyde park, and while they get plenty of business too.. there's just something about going to warren that makes it better.

Rico

warren went downhill after the kitchen drawer opened much closer to campus.

now that i'm in nyc i'd much rather go to jbprince for tools and korin for knives.  or you can do both of these mail order.

I disagree. Warren has never been better. I can't compare it with Kitchen Drawer, as I have never been there, but compared to the Warren of past, it is terrific.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

warren went downhill after the kitchen drawer opened much closer to campus.

now that i'm in nyc i'd much rather go to jbprince for tools and korin for knives.  or you can do both of these mail order.

I disagree. Warren has never been better. I can't compare it with Kitchen Drawer, as I have never been there, but compared to the Warren of past, it is terrific.

A few weeks back, just after my original post I headed just about 30 minutes south to Warren. In tow were 5 Kitchen knives that needed a good pro sharpen. As soon as I entered the store I was warmly welcomed by a nice young lady, who showed me where to put my knives for sharpen and encouraged me to browse while I waited. That had been my intention anyway, but the service seemed generous. She shortly caught up with me in the cutlery section, as I was perusing the ceramic kyocera area. She pleasantly offered for me to hold and feel as many knives as I could have asked for. When I showed a high interest in the ceramic, she whisked me off to the kitchen section of the store, to allow me a free testing with a few peppers that were in refrigerator. Very nice touch. I was sold. After some more purchases which now totaled just over $100.00 I headed to the checkout with my wares and to pick up my now newly sharpened knives that were done while I shopped, one of owners I presume, stopped to chat at the checkout counter with me. He could easily see that I was a now new happy customer and took the sharpening charges off my bill, as gratuity. So far I can not say enough good things about this store. Can you buy many of the items at the store online cheaper? I'm sure you could.

But by offering a test of the knife before a buy, sold me. And I can tell you, I am a happy man with my new Kyocera.

woodburner

As with any commodity, if you know exactly what you want you can shop in a no-service store or online, but if you need advice or finding just the right thing, Warren is the place. There have been many times I've gone in looking for something, such as a particular knife, and have been ready, willing and able to spend whatever it takes. However, they have taken the time and provided the help in picking out just the right knife, which has often been the best for me (and others I've observed there)- often a reasonably priced alternative, or just the best fit for one's use, hand-size, etc. among equally-priced items. My collection, therefore encompasses a number of countries of manufacture and brands, but each one is perfect for the job, thanks to them, and likely, the appropriate price was paid- not too much or too little. They don't try to "sell"- just educate and help you to pick out what appears best. That kind of help is worth the trip there. They also have been kind enough, that if I'm returning from CIA from an Enthusiast's class, and I purchase something- that they often given me the "student" discount.

Mark A. Bauman