• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shipping liquor filled chocolates

David J.

I am wondering if there is any problem with shipping liquor filled chocolates as a gift. Does anyone here know the rules or can point me to the relevant official information?

I've been sending gift boxes of standard truffles and bon-bons and am just about to experiment with making hand dipped and molded liquor centers. I'd like to be able to include them in my gifting.

I am wondering if there is any problem with shipping liquor filled chocolates as a gift.  Does anyone here know the rules or can point me to the relevant official information?

I've been sending gift boxes of standard truffles and bon-bons and am just about to experiment with making hand dipped and molded liquor centers.  I'd like to be able to include them in my gifting.

From amazon here is a decription about shipping of liquor filled chocolates.

ATTENTION: It is illegal to ship liquor-filled chocolates in certain states. The following states DO NOT allow shipment of liquor-filled chocolates: AL, AK, AS, CT, DE, ID, IN, KS, ME, MS, MT, NH, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI. All orders shipping to these states will be cancelled. Thank you.

The shipping restrictions on the sale of liquor are more stringent than on the shipping of gifts, aren't they? I know there are prohobitions on the interstate commerce of wine and liquor based mostly on collecting taxes.

Say you've got a port truffle - you can ostensibly legally ship samples, but not commercial quantities. It should bear the following on the front label:

Food Samples for Evaluation

Not taxable per 27 CFR 24.75

Not perishable – No Commercial Value

Conforms to applicable IRS and FDA requirements

Doing so, however, substantially increases the odds that your package will not arrive intact 8-) but covers you from the letter of the law.

The shipping restrictions on the sale of liquor are more stringent than on the shipping of gifts, aren't they?  I know there are prohobitions on the interstate commerce of wine and liquor based mostly on collecting taxes.

It's like bringing your own popcorn to the movies. It's not wrong to have popcorn or make popcorn but when you're at the movies you're supposed to buy their popcorn if you're gonna eat it. When the lights are out and everybody else is eating popcorn, probably no one will notice.

So if you want to give liquor-filled chocolates to me for example in Tennessee, you need to buy Tennessee booze, and make it here within the borders. Gift or no gift. The state of Tennessee is rabid about the collection of taxes. Probably no one will inspect your package but...I mean I cannot legally transport a bottle of Arkansas wine and bring it home for my own consumtion much less give it as a gift.

edited for clarity

Edited by K8memphis (log)

We ran into a similar problem trying to ship some chocolate port last Christmas. It's funny that, according to the list above, Maryland will allow you to ship liquor filled chocolates but it is illegal to ship wine or liquor into the state. We decided to do it anyway, and shipped it FedEx. As far as I know, no one was arrested.

At the same time we shipped the port we shipped some locally made chocolates, many of which contained liqueurs (grand marnier, triple sec, even champagne). I didn't think to ask about it, and we shipped it to many states on the "verboten" list quoted above. We have done this for about 6 Christmases now, and there has never been so much as an eyebrow raised, and we shipped most through the Post Office. I'm certainly not going to change my practice now - I think it's ludicrous not to allow that. They can bring suit against me if they want - maybe it is something I could fight to the Supreme Court and get these stupid laws changed. I'll bet I can find someone to finance my case.

We ran into a similar problem trying to ship some chocolate port last Christmas. It's funny that, according to the list above, Maryland will allow you to ship liquor filled chocolates but it is illegal to ship wine or liquor into the state. We decided to do it anyway, and shipped it FedEx. As far as I know, no one was arrested.

At the same time we shipped the port we shipped some locally made chocolates, many of which contained liqueurs (grand marnier, triple sec, even champagne). I didn't think to ask about it, and we shipped it to many states on the "verboten" list quoted above. We have done this for about 6 Christmases now, and there has never been so much as an eyebrow raised, and we shipped most through the Post Office. I'm certainly not going to change my practice now - I think it's ludicrous not to allow that. They can bring suit against me if they want - maybe it is something I could fight to the Supreme Court and get these stupid laws changed. I'll bet I can find someone to finance my case.

I like your attitude. give em hell.