• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the el Bulli effect

Chef Andres & those chefs out there who own any of the el Bulli series...

Do you use many of the recipes/techniques represented? If so which ones?

&

How long has it taken you to sift through all the info in these massive tomes?

I'm still "decoding" #3 which I've had for 3 years...i've had #2 for about a year and I'll probably get to it sometime in 2008 if I'm lucky. ;-)

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

Chef Andres & those chefs out there who own any of the el Bulli series...

Do you use many of the recipes/techniques represented?  If so which ones?

&

How long has it taken you to sift through all the info in these massive tomes?

I'm still "decoding" #3 which I've had for 3 years...i've had #2 for about a year and I'll probably get to it sometime in 2008 if I'm lucky.  ;-)

Well I've been lucky enough that by the time the book is out I know much of it.....But forget El Bulli

How many traditional techniques we dont have time to really master?

El Bulli books can take few life times to understand and digest

How many traditional techniques we dont have time to really master?
El Bulli books can take few life times to understand and digest

I agree...I find chef Adria's "cooking" to be quite amazing. In the same vain, I'm compiling recipes and techniques based on old Ukrainian & Russian books I've found, as well as a lot of stories people have been telling me. I find it quite incredible to see that many of the things I'm now learning are actually really really old methods that I'm simply putting my twist on. Do you do the same thing when creating new recipes?

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.