• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"slab" salt for food presentation

chefadamg

I'm looking to buy ...what I would call, "slabs" of pure pink, volcanic salt. I've seen a few chefs presenting sashimi courses on these pink slabs of salt and would like to give it a try myself.

Only question...where can I find these serving size pieces of slab pink salt??? Any online sources?

Teres a woman who sells them at the union square greenmarket. She's not a food seller sh's a candle lady and she says she can order an size. she's usually across the street from about 15th st on the west side, right near the dog run. She also sells other stuff so make sure you keep you eyes peeled, she usually has a rainbow flag flying too. Allow me to brainstorm, as I saw them somewhere else too (a tibetan store?) I'll think and get back to you.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Great link..I wonder if those "tiles" are a pressed salt w/ additives? I sent them an e-mail asking so I'll post the answer. Heres a site I found today w/ some nice salt plates chef stefen salts of the world

Click on the product tab

the site says that all of the tiles and blocks are processd in as food-safe manner. Also try looking at different salt candle sites some of them sell things that might make nice serving pieces.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I sent the supplier of 'Himalyan' pink salt slabs an email asking if the salt had been analysed for harmful chemicals and heavy metals. Never received a reply.

I would not use any salt that did not have this type of analysis available.

BTW when they tell you that the salt tablets are 100's of millions of years old, don't be impressed. All salt sold is that old unless made in a lab from sodium and chlorine. -Dick