• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moroccan Dinner

I'm planning a dinner for 8. I'd like to use a Moroccan theme. I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, never having cooked Moroccan before.

1) I've seen traditional cooking tagines available up to about 13". This doesn't seem large enough for 8. Am I wrong? Are there larger tagines around? Should I get two?

2) Are there traditional courses? Something like:

Appetizer

Soup (Harira)

Salad of some sort

Main Course (Lamb Tagine and vegetables)

Dessert (I thought about a cake called "La Russe" and maybe "the Snake")

3) I'd like to make pastiya (sp?). Would that serve as an appetizer? I could make single serving pastiyas, or serve pieces baklava style...

4) Is there a Moroccan coffee? Is there a special coffee pot? I know about mint tea...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Edited by sgreen0 (log)

I've done Moroccan dinners several times--they're good for a dinner party b/c most things can be prepared ahead of time and the flavors are relatively accessible.

Courses:

1) Mezze: Spiced Olives and Spiced Moroccan Nuts

I also server Ginger Pomegranite Champagne cocktails because the ginger and the pomegranite seemed to "fit" with the theme

2) Appetizers: Spicy Wrapped Meatballs with Harissa, Moroccan Cigars w/Charmoula, and Moroccan Chicken Wings with Preserved Lemons

3) Salad: Moroccan Orange Salad (oranges, cantalope, shredded carrots, mint, and spinach)

4) Individual B'stillas

The recipe I used called for rolling them up like burritos, but I wish I had been more creative/less timid and done them in small tart pans for individual servings--they would have been much more attractive. However, they do work great as individual servings--and there are a ton of recipes on the web with tons of variations. I picked my favorite ideas from several different ones to come up with my spin on them. Definitely include them in your menu, though, b/c they're wonderful and people really like the flavor combinations.

5) Moroccan Mint Tea Granita

6) Mrouzia (North African Sweet Lamb Stew) w/Glazed Carrots and Mezgaldi of Onions (basically a spiced confit) and, of course, Couscous (in timbales w/Moroccan spices)

I didn't use a tagine for my lamb stew--just my big stew pot--and it turned out very well (probably not completely authentic, but passable). It was very rich and very yummy.

7) Dessert: Mint Tea, Moroccan Oranges (peeled, sliced, and macerated in cinnamon/ginger simple syrup and a little Grand Mariner), and Baklava

Good luck! I had a ton of fun with my dinner and I know my guests (11 of my dearest girlfriends) enjoyed themselves as well. Wish I had pictures, but then, given the amount of port we drank at the end of the night, they'd probably be incriminating... :biggrin:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I'm planning a dinner for 8.  I'd like to use a Moroccan theme.  I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, never having cooked Moroccan before.

3) I'd like to make pastiya (sp?).  Would that serve as an appetizer?  I could make single serving pastiyas, or serve pieces baklava style...

Do you perhaps mean B'stilla ? This recipe looks pretty much like what I've made in the past. Yum.

I've never made it as an appetizer, just main course.

I've done Moroccan dinners several times--they're good for a dinner party b/c most things can be prepared ahead of time and the flavors are relatively accessible.

Courses:

I also server Ginger Pomegranite Champagne cocktails because the ginger and the pomegranite seemed to "fit" with the theme

2) Appetizers: Spicy Wrapped Meatballs with Harissa, Moroccan Cigars w/Charmoula, and Moroccan Chicken Wings with Preserved Lemons

3) Salad: Moroccan Orange Salad (oranges, cantalope, shredded carrots, mint, and spinach)

4) Individual B'stillas

The recipe I used called for rolling them up like burritos, but I wish I had been more creative/less timid and done them in small tart pans for individual servings--they would have been much more attractive.  However, they do work great as individual servings--and there are a ton of recipes on the web with tons of variations.  I picked my favorite ideas from several different ones to come up with my spin on them.  Definitely include them in your menu, though, b/c they're wonderful and people really like the flavor combinations.

6) Mrouzia (North African Sweet Lamb Stew) w/Glazed Carrots and Mezgaldi of Onions (basically a spiced confit) and, of course, Couscous (in timbales w/Moroccan spices)

I didn't use a tagine for my lamb stew--just my big stew pot--and it turned out very well (probably not completely authentic, but passable).  It was very rich and very yummy.

7) Dessert: Mint Tea, Moroccan Oranges (peeled, sliced, and macerated in cinnamon/ginger simple syrup and a little Grand Mariner), and Baklava

Good luck!  I had a ton of fun with my dinner and I know my guests (11 of my dearest girlfriends) enjoyed themselves as well.  Wish I had pictures, but then, given the amount of port we drank at the end of the night, they'd probably be incriminating...   :biggrin:

Thanks so much for posting your menu. That's what I had in mind.

I've seen recipes for individual B'Stillas that are folded (freehand) into small flower-shaped pockets. That sounds nice.

I'd like to try the tagine route, if I can figure out how to cook for 8 - in one, two?

I hadn't thought about cocktails, yet. But I had heard that there are some decent Moroccan wines (red).

I was also wondering about coffee. I know other middle-eastern/Arab countries have special coffees...

Thanks again for sharing.

Stephen

Edited by sgreen0 (log)

I'm planning a dinner for 8.  I'd like to use a Moroccan theme.  I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, never having cooked Moroccan before.

3) I'd like to make pastiya (sp?).  Would that serve as an appetizer?  I could make single serving pastiyas, or serve pieces baklava style...

Do you perhaps mean B'stilla ? This recipe looks pretty much like what I've made in the past. Yum.

I've never made it as an appetizer, just main course.

Yes, spellings do vary. Thanks for pointing me to that recipe. That's a great help.

As far as individual portions are concerned, for appetizer I could cut the B'stilla casserole into diamonds ala baklava...

Thanks again.

Stephen

Edited by sgreen0 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Courses:

4) Individual B'stillas

The recipe I used called for rolling them up like burritos, but I wish I had been more creative/less timid and done them in small tart pans for individual servings--they would have been much more attractive.  However, they do work great as individual servings--and there are a ton of recipes on the web with tons of variations.  I picked my favorite ideas from several different ones to come up with my spin on them.  Definitely include them in your menu, though, b/c they're wonderful and people really like the flavor combinations.

I didn't use a tagine for my lamb stew--just my big stew pot--and it turned out very well (probably not completely authentic, but passable).  It was very rich and very yummy.

Good luck!  I had a ton of fun with my dinner and I know my guests (11 of my dearest girlfriends) enjoyed themselves as well.  Wish I had pictures, but then, given the amount of port we drank at the end of the night, they'd probably be incriminating...  :biggrin:

Becki!

Woud you mind sharing your Champagne Cocktail recipe? It sounds like a winner.

So far, I'm going with:

Olives & nuts with the Champagne cocktail

B'stilla - I think I'll make a large casserole version and cut into diamond shapes for serving...

Harira

A Blood Orange granita

Chicken Tagine with Lemon and Olives

Lamb Tagine with Prunes and Apples

served with couscous

Mint tea, Spiced coffee with M'hancha (the snake)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stephen

Woud you mind sharing your Champagne Cocktail recipe?  It sounds like a winner.

I PM'd this to you, but here it is in case anyone else is interested:

Ginger Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail

2 cup pomegranate juice

2 tbsp sugar

3-inch slice fresh ginger (in ¼ inch slices)

½ cup fresh orange juice

2 teas of orange liqueur like Contreau or Grand Marnier

1 750-ml bottle brut Champagne or sparkling wine, chilled

Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and ginger in a pan over high heat until mixture is reduced to 1/3 of a cup. Stir constantly. Set aside until cool. In each glass pour 4 tsp of pomegranate syrup, 1 tbsp orange juice, and ¼ tsp orange liqueur into each of four Champagne flutes. Top off with champagne or sparkling wine.

EDIT: Edited to add that I forgot to credit my source for this recipe (shameful!)... I thought it came from The Gilded Fork, but it doesn't look quite right. It's possible that I doctored it myself, but at this point I can't recall... :hmmm: If you recognize your recipe, feel free to correct me!

Edited by BekkiM (log)
Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Woud you mind sharing your Champagne Cocktail recipe?  It sounds like a winner.

I PM'd this to you, but here it is in case anyone else is interested:

Ginger Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail

2 cup pomegranate juice

2 tbsp sugar

3-inch slice fresh ginger (in ¼ inch slices)

½ cup fresh orange juice

2 teas of orange liqueur like Contreau or Grand Marnier

1 750-ml bottle brut Champagne or sparkling wine, chilled

Combine pomegranate juice, sugar and ginger in a pan over high heat until mixture is reduced to 1/3 of a cup. Stir constantly. Set aside until cool. In each glass pour 4 tsp of pomegranate syrup, 1 tbsp orange juice, and ¼ tsp orange liqueur into each of four Champagne flutes. Top off with champagne or sparkling wine.

Thanks so much. Sounds delicious!

Stephen

I might be a bit late for the original poster but Masterfoods sent me some recipes which I have on my website for a Moroccan party, plus I have put links to some of my own dishes. Start here: http://cookingdownunder.com/articles/2006/moroccanparty.htm

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

I might be a bit late for the original poster but Masterfoods sent me some recipes which I have on my website for a Moroccan party, plus I have put links to some of my own dishes. Start here: http://cookingdownunder.com/articles/2006/moroccanparty.htm

I can't believe I missed your site when I was researching my Moroccan dinner! I love your ideas and I'll be back to study them in detail when I throw my next one.

Thanks, Pat!

Great ideas.  Not to late to implement some...

Stephen

Ta Stephen. Hope it's a good one. Take some photos for those of us who live vicariously....

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves