• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nougat Paste

Natho

I have a really snooty chocolate book that has a large collection of recipes involving nougat paste. In this book, all the nougat is a mix of ground nuts, sugar and chocolate and according to the authors, comes in various nut/chocolate combinations and is readily available. Now seeing as this book is a reprinted german book, and I live in australia, I can assure you that this stuff is NOT readily available as far as I can see. All the nougat here is the white stuff with whole nuts in it. Does anybody know of a recipe/technique with which I could make this stuff? It sounds like a great ingredient to use.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

I have a really snooty chocolate book that has a large collection of recipes involving nougat paste. In this book, all the nougat is a mix of ground nuts, sugar and chocolate and according to the authors, comes in various nut/chocolate combinations and is readily available. Now seeing as this book is a reprinted german book, and I live in australia, I can assure you that this stuff is NOT readily available as far as I can see. All the nougat here is the white stuff with whole nuts in it. Does anybody know of a recipe/technique with which I could make this stuff? It sounds like a great ingredient to use.

One such paste is gianduja, I'm not sure how readily you can get that in Australia. I'd probably make a mixture of almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter or hazelnut butter, strain off the oil, heat slightly and mix with melted chocoate. I probably wouldn't add a lot of sugar, if any. Start with a 50 -50 mix by weight and then adjust to what ever texture suits you.

As Kerry suggests, mix chocolate and nut butter. Nougat is most often made with hazelnuts and certainly the most common variety in Germany is hazelnut. Depending on the application, you can make a pretty passable product by mixing ½ milk chocolate/½ smooth, unsalted and unsweetened hazelnut butter (often available in health food shops). Unaware what I was doing, I made this paste for something else, and was quite surprised with the resemblance to the store bought stuff.

You can buy gianduja slabs(callebaut) quite easily through gourmet distributors like essential ingredient or simon johnson. I think I have also seen it at chef's warehouse. Hope you find it! :biggrin:

The secret of cooking is the release of fragrance and the art of imparting it. - Patience Gray

Wouldn't this be praline paste, not nougat paste?

Yes definately praline paste.

Too me, anything nougat has to have egg whites.

You could just make the nougat and process it into a paste.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Wouldn't this be praline paste, not nougat paste?

I believe the difference is that praline paste contains caramelized sugar, this contains non caramelized sugar. I certainly do see a lot of pastes where the line is not that clear.

I believe the terminological (is that even a real word?) lines are a bit blured with these things depending on where in the world you come from. I have often seen one thing labeled as something in a book or website only to see it named something different somewhere else. Nougat and praline are chief offenders..

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

You can buy gianduja slabs(callebaut) quite easily through gourmet distributors like essential ingredient or simon johnson. I think I have also seen it at chef's warehouse. Hope you find it!  :biggrin:

I live in brisbane (unfortunate, I know) and we DID have an Essential Ingredient but it closed down. I know a few places that sell Callebaut couverture so I will see if they have any. No Simon Johnson in qld :sad:

Thanks for the tip I will track it down somehow.

The French chocolate books I have refer to nougat paste as being made from equal parts nuts, sugar and couverture often referred to as gianduja . Unfortunately the heavy-duty processor required to grind the nuts to the desired oily paste is out of my league so I have always used the Callebaut gianduja slab as the next best thing.

Shame there is no Essential in Brisvegas - F.Meyer Imports is the Oz distributor of Callebaut if that helps with a supplier in Qld. :smile:

The secret of cooking is the release of fragrance and the art of imparting it. - Patience Gray