• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

What cookbooks do you love to cook out of at home? Anything by Suzanne Goin.

Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite? That is a hard one. I like 90% of her recipes, 50% are fantastic and challenge me as a cook.

Or is there a book you just can't live without? Don't laugh, but here's the cookbooks I've used for over a decade: Ms. Field's (remember her? great recipes), Martin Yan (I love his stuff, I refer to Quick and Easy at least once a month), Julia Child (I have them all, I use Julia's Kitchen the most), and my Costco cookbooks! I love my Costco cookbooks and if I'm honest, I use them the most for day-to-day cooking.

Must-have? As in I-really-like-it but I don't use it all the time? I like the Zuni cookbook, although honestly, I never cook out of it. Gjelina is another fun one for California cuisine. I love Batali's books too. Food Lab is another good, fascinating read, as is the Modernist Cuisine books (I have them all, and honestly, have not read a single one). But I'm hoping eGullet's threads will motivate me.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite? That is a hard one. I like 90% of her recipes, 50% are fantastic and stretch me as a cook.

Or is there a book you just can't live without? Don't laugh, but here's the cookbooks I've used for over a decade: Ms. Field's (remember her? great recipes), Martin Yan (I love his stuff, I refer to Quick and Easy at least once a month), Julia Child (I have them all, I use Julia's Kitchen the most), and my Costco cookbooks! I love my Costco cookbooks and if I'm honest, I use them the most for day-to-day cooking.

Must-have? As in I-really-like-it but I don't use it all the time? I like the Zuni cookbook, although honestly, I never cook out of it. Gjelina is another fun one for California cuisine. I love Batali's books too. Food Lab is another good, fascinating read, as is the Modernist Cuisine books (I have them all, and honestly, have not read a single one). But I'm hoping eGullet's threads will motivate me.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite? That is a hard one. I like 90% of her recipes, 50% are fantastic and stretch me as a cook.