• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Pontiac Grille Menu

Yannii

i stopped by the Pontiac Grille late last night (midnight), after reading about the change in chefs in the inquirer. It was really good!

first off, they now have a very good selection of beer (mostly Belgians and micros). and secondly, the food was out of this world. I had the "scott's burger" which is a kobe beef burger with truffle mayo, fried egg, fontina, and bacon that was transcendent (maybe not the healthiest choice, but totally worth the indulgence). it came with fresh cut fries and homemade ketchup (delicious). i also had grilled marlin tacos with watermelon salsa and guacamole, lime and such. so good, the flavors work really well together. and i had a snack of deviled eggs which were sort of spanish in seasoning (smoked paprika i think) and really good as well.

the menu seems to be very reasonably priced (although the kobe beef burgers are a little expensive, but worth it i think) and the other plates i saw served looked awesome (bbq chicken with grilled corn, and taco salad) as well as plentiful. they had a whole page of specials on a monday night that all sounded good.

the room itself / atmosphere was really pleasant as well. the big open windows in the front were perfect last night with the fall-like temperatures we had. the layout makes you feel sort of protected from south street in there. lots of wood and a nice long bar. it wasn't very crowded last night, but the people there seemed pretty cool, fun and laid back. the staff was really helpful, the bartender (john, i think) was great.

it sounds like i'm a shill or something, but i'm definitely not connected with the place in any way, i'm just really excited to have another place in the neighborhood i can go late at night (they serve till 1am, which allows me to eat after procrastinating returning my videos to TLA until 5 minutes before they close at midnight :smile: ) for a good inexpensive bar meal. i love the royal tavern as well, and this feels pretty similar in concept (a little less loud / hipster-ish). i can't wait to go back (maybe tonight!)

i stopped by the Pontiac Grille late last night (midnight), after reading about the change in chefs in the inquirer. It was really good!

first off, they now have a very good selection of beer (mostly Belgians and micros).  and secondly, the food was out of this world. I had the "scott's burger" which is a kobe beef burger with truffle mayo, fried egg, fontina, and bacon that was transcendent (maybe not the healthiest choice, but totally worth the indulgence). it came with fresh cut fries and homemade ketchup (delicious).  i also had grilled marlin tacos with watermelon salsa and guacamole, lime and such. so good, the flavors work really well together.  and i had a snack of deviled eggs which were sort of spanish in seasoning (smoked paprika i think) and really good as well.

the menu seems to be very reasonably priced (although the kobe beef burgers are a little expensive, but worth it i think) and the other plates i saw served looked awesome (bbq chicken with grilled corn, and taco salad) as well as plentiful. they had a whole page of specials on a monday night that all sounded good.

the room itself / atmosphere was really pleasant as well. the big open windows in the front were perfect last night with the fall-like temperatures we had. the layout makes you feel sort of protected from south street in there. lots of wood and a nice long bar. it wasn't very crowded last night, but the people there seemed pretty cool, fun and laid back. the staff was really helpful, the bartender (john, i think) was great.

it sounds like i'm a shill or something, but i'm definitely not connected with the place in any way, i'm just really excited to have another place in the neighborhood i can go late at night (they serve till 1am, which allows me to eat after procrastinating returning my videos to TLA until 5 minutes before they close at midnight  :smile: ) for a good inexpensive bar meal.  i love the royal tavern as well, and this feels pretty similar in concept (a little less loud / hipster-ish). i can't wait to go back (maybe tonight!)

How long had it been since you had eaten prior to going there, like a week?

This is good news! This place is right in my hood, so it's good to have a late night choice other than the South Street Diner.

A friend that had been helping out at Pontiac told me recently they'd hired the chef he wanted them to after many interviewees coming through the door, so I'm glad that worked out as he'd hoped. I'll have to stop by when he's tending bar and check out the menu.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i love the royal tavern as well, and this feels pretty similar in concept (a little less loud / hipster-ish). i can't wait to go back (maybe tonight!)

Thanks for report. I keep hearing great things about the food at Royal but everyone complains about the smoke. Gonna give them a few weeks to air out the place now that it's N/S and will try it.

But I think Pontiac Grill may see me sooner.

Steve R

You've made the Pontiac Grille sound like a place worth checking out, but what I am truly impressed by is the quantity of food you consumed!

well, i do eat quite a bit (i am a egulletier after all!), but this time I had some help from a friend (who didn't really hold up his end... ) :rolleyes: