• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Date Dinner

mascarpone

A colleague asked where to go for a first date dinner. Not to heavy on the romantic decor, as it a first dinner. Money is not a problem. Anything but Indian cuisine.

Battery Gardens

Gigino at Wagner Park

Both of which are overlooking the harbor at battery park

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

"Once when I still had a living spouse we went somewhere where we were like the only people in the room who weren't obviously on a first date. I wish I could remember where it was."

Il Buco comes to mind as probably being it. Its a standard first date place that actually has decent food.

The Place is another possibility (both for where you were and as a suggestion for the OP).

Personally, I never do dinnah on the first date...but if I did, I'd probably do Grand Sichuan as a test...

The problem with places like 'Ino is that you can't be sure of getting a table without a wait. And on a first date, not getting a table and having to wander around looking for another place to eat -- or even worse, God forbid, waiting a long time together -- would, IMO, be disastrous.

I think a fancy restaurant coctail bar tour would be a great first date. 11mad, gramercy, gotham etc. Fancy traveling dimsum. I like to maove around a bit on the first date, it helps conversation flow if the scenery keeps changing. make sure to cab from spot to spot though, she's probably wearing heels.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

IMO the best first date restaurant in NYC is Annisa. The food is terrific, the room is elegant and the neighborhood allows for options after dinner.

If the evening is going well, just walk two doors west and go To One If By Land for drinks afterward. There's a piano player who will take requests. Sit by the fireplace, enjoy an after dinner drink and listen to music in one of the city's great rooms. It's quite a unique date.

I like the private car idea, but be careful, it may be a bit over the top for first date. Now on a second date...

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Never take a date to a restaurant that you can't afford to take them to (occasionally) for the rest of the relationship. A first date should represent who you are, the second or third, who you aspire to be...

I've been taken to the places far above the means of my dates, and it just made me uncomfortable. It's just something to consider.

does this come in pork?

Rich's suggestion — Annisa, followed by drinks at One If By Land — is the best so far. Annisa is a very charming place, the food can be counted on, and it's elegant without being over-the-top romantic. Any Danny Meyer outlet would be very solid, such as Union Square Café, Eleven Madison Park, or Gramercy Tavern. Ditto Gotham Bar & Grill.

Some of the suggestions are fine first-date places, but not exactly what comes to mind when the thread says "Money is no object." If that's the parameter, I wouldn't choose The Red Cat or Gigino at Wagner Park.

Battery Gardens, while not being really that expensive by NYC standards, has a more upscale feel to it, and the food is certainly respectable. But if it rains that day, and there is no view, the whole reason for going will have been rendered irrelevant.

I do agree with the comment that you shouldn't choose a first-date restaurant that's fancier than what you can generally afford. It sets up an expectation that you won't be able to live up to. Beyond that, even if I were as rich as Warren Buffett, I wouldn't go to Per Se or Jean Georges on the first date. It just doesn't feel right.

He can also take her to Pegu Club and hope they never make it to dinner.

god sneaker when will your pegu club love affair cease!?!?

hehe

first dates.....hummmmmmmm

OH the bar on the 14th floor at the ritz carlton, battery park.

059259D.jpg

also 230 5th......the rooftop, gorgeous gorgeous view, and asian bar lounge menu by zac pelaccio (of 5 ninth and fatty crab)

2006_08_summer.jpg

also cookshop on 10th avenue

restreview051114_400.jpg

red cat, also on 10th avenue

mainTheRedCat.jpg

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

What about The Red Cat?

seriously honestly just went there with my boyfriend 5 days ago, had a wonderful meal.

they started us of for free with the most delicious tempura green beans and dipping sauce.

had a nice littorai chardonnay, which they decanted. very oakey, full bodied, butterscotchy long finish. prefer their pinots but i always wanted to try their chard.

heirloom tomato salad with feta - delicious, exactly what a tomato salad should be.

sweetbreads - very nice, not the best i've had, but delicious, served with some carmelized nectarines

for entrees:

black bass with risotto - perfect

braised rabbit , potato puree - perfect

everything was wonderful, food, service.

the room has such a terrific vibe. very ethan allen country house meets barn in provence. red ceramic showplates. good silverware & stemware.

i totally recommend it, and its in a great neighborhood.

The Ritz bar has fantastic pitchers of margaritas and stunning views. Too bad it 1,000,000 miles from anything else. It can also get breezy and cold so it's really a mid-day date place. They also have pretty good overpriced snacks.

does this come in pork?

Kuma Inn-secluded, easy going and should date turn out to be something more, it's relatively private. And, if date turned out to be a bust, no one has to know.

Never been to Annisa so can't comment on that but I just had a terrific meal at Kuma Inn. It feels like a find (even though it's hardly a secret), the food lends itself to sharing and talking over, and it's great food.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway