• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Bulk Recipes?

johnsmith45678

What are your favorite recipes that you like to make in bulk quantities and stash away in the fridge/freezer for quick food that lasts for many eatings? I'm thinking soup for starters, and I'm thinking about making a bunch of chicken cordon bleaus or kievs and freezing them. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff, but I'm mostly interested in foods that don't take a long time (say 4+ hours) to make, don't require expensive ingredients or a ton of ingredients, and keep well.

Yebra! :wub: First, they're so easy to make; second, there is a definite 'zen/zone' thing you get going on when you roll a lot of them at one time; third, they're the food of heaven; fourth, one can never tire of this dish; lastly, and a very important point-they freeze beautifully!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Braised brisket

Roasted pork shoulder

Flageolet beans

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I always make Dhal in huge quantities (Partially because I always forget how much it swells, and how filling it is!) Just don't add any tempering spices/onions etc - leave it until you are eating it. Handy to have around to put into curries too.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

First off, there's bulk "instant food" ingredients: carnitas, carmelized onions, chicken stock, stuff like that. Prep in large quantity, freeze the excess, and you have instant meals available next time you can't bear to actually cook.

Then there's bulk food that doesn't freeze well. Rice! Plain rice, rice pilaf, risotto, rice and lentils... we eat a *lot* of rice, in a variety of ways. The day after leftovers will get turned into dirty rice or fried rice. A pot of beans is in the same boat. Beans will take turns as tuscan white bean soup (for white beans only), bread topping, plain beans, a quesadilla filling, chilli, a salad topping... Lots you can do with beans. Texas style chilli comes under this heading as well, with a similar variety of ways to use it. (And really, texas style chilli ought to freeze well, it just gets devoured that fast)

Then there's the soups that I make in quantity and really ought to freeze. Chicken soup is delicious, but my default full dress version makes enough to feed a small army. 3-4 gallons of soup is a bit much for 2 people. Leek and potato soup freezes well if you hold the cream/milk for at the table, and again I can't seem to make it in less than army size quantities. Split pea soup is a bit more downsizable if you don't start with "take a ham bone...". Thankfully, the method I grew up with is the much smaller "take a ham hock" one. Beef stew would likely freeze well too.

Emily

Right now in our freezer we have three bulk items: chicken soup with matzoh balls, meatballs in tomato sauce, and a chicken stew of sorts (chunks of boneless chicken, carrots, onions, stock, white wine, maybe some other stuff). At another point in time you might find another soup variant, meat sauce instead of meatballs, and a beef stew or similar. These are the things we eat when it's 8pm and we still haven't figured out what to have for dinner. We store them in individual portions in plastic containers or zipper bags, depending. Ten or so minutes in the microwave, in the meantime boil some pasta or make some rice, and we're all set.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I make large quantities of the following and can them:

Marinara Sauce

Pizza Sauce

Spaghetti Sauce (with and without sausage or meatballs)

French Onion Soup

Ketchup

Sweet Pickle Relish

Other things that I Food save and freeze:

Eggplant Parmesiagno

Moussaka

Lasagna

Cooked corn scraped off the cob

Fresh Basil Pesto with pinenuts

Homemade Italian Sausage

Fresh ground beef

Cut up large chunks of Mozzarella into 1 lb packages

20 lbs of parmesiana reggiano, food processed and foodsaved in 1 lb packages

And that's about it!

doc

Edited by deltadoc (log)

I like to make 1-dish meals so all we need to do is microwave after work, and maybe make a salad to accompany the meal. Old fashioned dishes like Chicken Divan, spaghetti and meatballs, and any other casserole that has meat and veggies and freezes well. I often put them into 1-person serving dishes so my husband and I don't have to eat the same thing if we don't want to.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I make pastitsio about twice a year and freeze it in "logs." I (mostly) use James Beard's recipe "Pastitsio for a Party," which gives an indication of the huge amount it makes. Also I make bolognese and chicken pot pie filling to freeze.