• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Carrot Cake

sugarlove

I developed a recipe years ago for Chocolate Carrot Bars. They are essentially brownies. The combination of chocolate and carrots is quite good. I think a Chocolate Carrot Cake would be delicious. Be sure to adjust the amount of fat in the recipe to account for the added fat in the chocolate. Or use cocoa with a little chocolate so you aren't adding a lot of extra fat.

Good luck.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Wow, never heard of this so I googled it. There are tons of recipes, and from what I saw on the ones I read they are using cocoa. They seem to be pretty traditional carrot cakes otherwise, cream cheese frosting and all. If that's what you want for a wedding cake, I say go for it, but I wouldn't try to do the tiered thing. Carrot cakes are pretty heavy, I'd think that putting a bunch of layer together would be dangerous, especially if there was any danger of the cream cheese frosting warming up!

Slip sliding away......

There are tons of pro's on this board though, they might well have a way to do it!

I developed a recipe years ago for Chocolate Carrot Bars. They are essentially brownies. The combination of chocolate and carrots is quite good. I think a Chocolate Carrot Cake would be delicious. Be sure to adjust the amount of fat in the recipe to account for the added fat in the chocolate. Or use cocoa with a little chocolate so you aren't adding a lot of extra fat.

Good luck.

Eileen

The recipe looks interesting, but there are no ingredient amounts in the recipe.

Highchef, actually they work quite well for stacked cakes. I use a stiff buttercream dam before filling with the stiffest cream cheese icing I can make. But the stiff buttercream dam holds up well and as long as the cakes are well dowelled and boarded, I haven't had any issues with them. Surprising, carrot cakes are quite good with buttercream too. Sometimes I use the cream cheese icing as the filling but ice the cakes with buttercream. Mainly to keep the icing colour consistent. But carrot cakes are a wonderful dense consistency for stacking cakes.

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Highchef, actually they work quite well for stacked cakes. I use a stiff buttercream dam before filling with the stiffest cream cheese icing I can make.  But the stiff buttercream dam holds up well and as long as the cakes are well dowelled and boarded, I haven't had any issues with them.  Surprising, carrot cakes are quite good with buttercream too.  Sometimes I use the cream cheese icing as the filling but ice the cakes with buttercream.  Mainly to keep the icing colour consistent.  But carrot cakes are a wonderful dense consistency for stacking cakes.

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I learn something new every single day on e-gullet...thanks! ( I love carrot cake!)

I do the same thing with carrot cake fillings - the buttercream dam and the outer coat of icing being buttercream. I do have an issue with the weight, though; these cakes are very, very heavy and if an entire wedding cake is carrot cake usually someone else has to carry it for me. Three tiers stacked is my limit for what I can safely carry on my own - if the cake calls for more tiers, I build the remaining tiers on site. I've found that a lot of chefs can be very accommodating on the delivery side (taking it out of the truck) but there are just as many places that will tell you their staff cannot help you lift a cake because they don't want to be the cause of any damage. One of my competitors whom I run into sometimes at the bigger country clubs routinely carries in a four tier, stacked buttercream cake on his shoulder and the thing doesn't even bounce or wobble or anything. When I see that, I wonder how they put it together. The few times I've stacked four tiers, I hold my breath every time I hit a small bump and see it shake and repeat constantly "just let me get there with this in one piece and I'll never do it again!!"