• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did it change your view of restaurants?

Yes, Andy, my experiences at Daniel did change the way I look at dining in some ways. Mostly, I'd say that I'm more impressed by meals such as one experiences at Daniel (or other four-star-type establishments). The amount of work and care and attention--and talent--on the part of so many people in order to give people such experiences is truly amazing.

But it also gave me a solid idea of what the standards should be for this kind of high-end dining. Interestingly, on a recent trip to France on which I dined at a number of very formal, Michelin-starred restaurants, I felt the French establishments I visited this time paled in comparison to Daniel--both in terms of service and the food itself.