• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'business lunch' with CEO and friend

turkeybone

Hey everyone,

So, me being a poor about-to-graduate CIA student, I always joke around and bug my friend, a tech-consultant for a small manhattan based firm, to find some way to get a chef on staff, this that, etc.. well to quote myself, "hey, find a way to make your company give me money".

Well, after a fair amount of joking around, he's actually gone ahead and done it! Apparently the CEO is a foodie (to what degree, I dont know), and there's been an exchange of emails and they want to set up a brainstorming lunch -- meet & greet & eat, and basically find a way to make them give me money". :biggrin:

Well.. while asking /what/ to talk about is a whole other thread, right now I'm more interested in finding a place to go for lunch for three. There are, of course, some requirements:

1. As per the CEO's request, it must be "high-end".

2. It should be in Manhattan (the office is Broadway)

3. Until I graduate (end of September), I can only do lunch on Mondays -- which knocks out a few obvious choices.

4. It probably shouldn't be a multi-multi course extravaganza -- they need that time to make the money before they shower me with it :wink:

As far as my own ideas.. well theyre all nerds so something that would appeal to that aspect would be fantastic (I tossed around the idea of a liquid nitrogen ice cream demo for the office and they ate that up).. if only wd~50 served lunch, hehe.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys will come up with some great ideas, I cant wait to hear them! :biggrin:

Rico

In my estimation there is only one best answer for your request - Jean-George, one of if not the greatest lunch value on the planet. The food is great and at $12/course you can have as many courses as you like after a minimum of, I believe, three and still have a very reasonable cost in debatably the finest restaurant in the City.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In my estimation there is only one best answer for your request - Jean-George, one of if not  the greatest lunch value on the planet. The food is great and at $12/course you can have as many courses as you like after a minimum of, I believe, three and still have a very reasonable cost in debatably the finest restaurant in the City.

I second the JG recommendation. What an awesome value.

JG is now $14/plate and the minimum is two plates; servers will try to upsell softly, however.  And yes, if you're looking for modern food in a elegantly hospitable setting, JG is THE place to go for a mid-day meal.

At $14/plate, I'm not sure it is worth it....nah, just kidding :smile: Thanks for the update, Bryan.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hey guys,

thats really funny that you all say JG.. my previous experience with JG was less than stellar.. it was myself and two classmates and we went for dinner.. which was pretty good (especially since one of our friends was a baking extern, and they loaded our table with 16 desserts.. hee hee)... but for $250 tab, it could have been better. But for $14 a course? Sounds like a really good deal.

Does anyone have any other alternatives? As far as the location, I'm not sure of the cross street but I think the address (which I know is generally useless) is in the 200s.

heh.. speaking of broadway being long.. it turns into route 9 eventually, right? Which is the same road the CIA is on.. so I guess, I'm just down the road ;-P

Rico

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any other alternatives? As far as the location, I'm not sure of the cross street but I think the address (which I know is generally useless) is in the 200s.

heh.. speaking of broadway being long.. it turns into route 9 eventually, right? Which is the same road the CIA is on.. so I guess, I'm just down the road ;-P

Do us and yourself a favor and get the cross st so we can give you propper recs (according to location).......If they're busyboys they won't want to stray far from the office........Manhattan is small but it's huge when you only have an hr to eat.

That wasn't chicken