• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Spiral

ariggsby

I was at Alinea in Chicago last week and very much liked the dessert that centered on a spiral of choolate. I'd like to try to make it myself, and conveniently there's a recipe in the Feb./March Pastry Art and Design. Unfortunately, there's a key ingredient missing. Before I waste a lot of good chocolate experimenting, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone happened to know the ratio of chocolate to cream?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Edited by ariggsby (log)

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

take an educated guess. "wasting' and experimenting are part of the game. it's 1 to 2.

I was at Alinea in Chicago last week and very much liked the dessert that centered on a spiral of choolate.  I'd like to try to make it myself, and conveniently there's a recipe in the Feb./March Pastry Art and Design.  Unfortunately, there's a key ingredient missing.  Before I waste a lot of good chocolate experimenting, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone  happened to know the ratio of chocolate to cream?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

www.adrianvasquez.net

take an educated guess.  "wasting' and experimenting are part of the game.

Ok, I have to admit that's excellent general advice (within the limits of one's budget)...

it's 1 to 2.

...but in this particular case I'm glad I asked; my first guess wouldn't have been close.

Now I'm off to turn the dehydrated lemon curd into other flavors.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 4 weeks later...