• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Recipes from Bars

Rob Simmon

I've been trying to re-create new drinks from cocktail menus that strike my fancy, and figured it would be good to document them.

Clove Martini (it's got a different name, which I don't recall) from Rasika in Washington, DC:

2 oz. Mount Gay Special Reserve Rum

1/3 oz. Simple Syrup

6 drops clove tincture (the menu calls for clove-infused simple syrup)

Please post your appropriations here.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to replicate the Velvet Cane from Rye here in San Francisco.

Components are 10 Cane rum, tangerine juice, lime juice, orgeat, egg white and angostura.

I'm trying to avoid buying 10 cane rum, as, I if I have to spend $30 on Rhum Agricole, I would prefer to spend it on one of Ed Hamilton's rums.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to find fresh tangerines this time of year.

First try:

1 oz Flor de Cana white rum

3/4 oz La Favorite blanc

1/2 oz lime juice

1/2 oz passion fruit nectar

barspoon orgeat

dash angostura

Thoughts. The cocktail was enjoyed; but, it didn't taste much like the Velvet Cane I had at Rye. Left out the egg, as the dinner guests were vegetarians, and it definitely impacts the drink. I don't remember noticing any real rhum funk in the drink at Rye. The La Favorite definitely brings more of that to the party than the 10 cane. I was also under impressed with the Ceres passion fruit nectar. I think the looza stuff has better passion fruit flavor. Fresh orange juice would be a better sub for the tangerine. Probably needs more orgeat and bitters. Further experimentation is required.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to find fresh tangerines this time of year.

Did you look in the whole foods frozen section? I found frozen tangerine concentrate there a few months ago. Not a replacement for fresh, but decent none-the-less.

First try:

1 oz Flor de Cana white rum

3/4 oz La Favorite blanc

1/2 oz lime juice

1/2 oz passion fruit nectar

barspoon orgeat

dash angostura

Thoughts.  The cocktail was enjoyed; but, it didn't taste much like the Velvet Cane I had at Rye.  Left out the egg, as the dinner guests were vegetarians, and it definitely impacts the drink.  I don't remember noticing any real rhum funk in the drink at Rye.  The La Favorite definitely brings more of that to the party than the 10 cane.  I was also under impressed with the Ceres passion fruit nectar.  I think the looza stuff has better passion fruit flavor.  Fresh orange juice would be a better sub for the tangerine.  Probably needs more orgeat and bitters.  Further experimentation is required.

I would definately bump the bitters up. Also if you are going to use the passion fruit, I would try bumping up the lime, especially if the passion fruit nectar is very sweet.

The lack of egg white would definately impact the drink. :sad:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

This is very close to the velvet cane I had at rye, maybe a bit drier. I think the la favorite blanc brings a bit more character to the party than the 10 cane used in the original drink. Wish I had fresh tangerine juice; but, that will probably have to wait until next winter.

1/2 egg white

1/2 oz orgeat (monin)

1/2 oz tangerine/orange juice blend

Juice 1/2 lime or whole key lime

1 oz white rum (flor de cana)

3/4 oz rhum agricole blanc (La Favorite)

generous dash Angostura bitters

Uh, you know, combine in a shaker, shake well, and strain into a cocktail glass.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I think I found tomorrow nights drink recipe, I just need to track down a bottle of orgeat.

John

This is very close to the velvet cane I had at rye, maybe a bit drier.  I think the la favorite blanc brings a bit more character to the party than the 10 cane used in the original drink.  Wish I had fresh tangerine juice; but, that will probably have to wait until next winter.

1/2 egg white

1/2 oz orgeat (monin)

1/2 oz tangerine/orange juice blend

Juice 1/2 lime or whole key lime

1 oz white rum (flor de cana)

3/4 oz rhum agricole blanc (La Favorite)

generous dash Angostura bitters

Uh, you know, combine in a shaker, shake well, and strain into a cocktail glass.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Oh, yeah, a couple of notes.

For some reason, in the US, it seems Monin calls it's almond flavored syrup Almond instead of Orgeat. I'm pretty sure it's the same as what they call Orgeat in France. I've compared the French and English websites and, as far as I can tell, they only offer one almond syrup (well, they also have an "Amaretto" syrup).

Since I don't always have eggs I consider fresh enough to eat uncooked, I picked up some dehydrated egg whites, (baking section of my grocery store.) It also seemed like it would be convenient, since cocktail recipes often call for only for 1/2 egg white. I hate it when I end up throwing away the yolk and the other half of the egg. Compared to fresh eggs, they foam equally well (perhaps better). However, to me, it didn't seem like the "ropy" emulsified texture you get from well shaken fresh egg whites was quite there. Further experimentation is required.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

. . .cocktail recipes often call for only for 1/2 egg white.  I hate it when I end up throwing away the yolk and the other half of the egg.

I've always wondered about that "half an egg white" and it never made much sense to me, unless you're making a drink with only 2 ounces or ingredients or something. Modern recipes (or old recipes reworked for modern usage) may call for a half an egg white because the standard size today seems to be extra large to jumbo, whereas the old recipes most likely were calling for the white of a medium egg. One way to avoid waste is to use medium eggs and keep the egg yolks in a container in the freezer. When you have enough yolks, let them thaw out and then make creme anglaise, egg yolk pasta, whatever.

--