• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oatmeal Toppings/Preferences

waic

Cooked with a pinch of salt in milk. Then butter, cinnamon and brown sugar or honey.

If I'm feeling really ambitious and have it around the house, some chopped dates and dried apricots.

But I confess I'm usually lame enough to buy the little pre-flavored packets because they're easy to grab and take to work with me. I'd rather sleep the extra 15 minutes. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i've never regularly eaten oatmeal, but a while back my husband asked me to buy some of the instant packets. safeway had a sale...2 for 1 so i bought two big boxes. of course, my husband never ate any!!!

so i rediscovered them the other day and i added a spoonful of labne (really thick yogurt almost like creme fraiche) and some fresh blueberries (after heating in micro)...really good!

now i'm considering making oatmeal a regular breakfast.

This is my favorite recent topic! I'm a porridge JUNKIE. :wub:

Almonds & molasses: egullet2005-82.jpg

I've even posted to my blog disgusting photos of my porridge concoctions, had the same photo be my avatar in the past, and submitted it to the 'regrettable foods' gallery. (Only for the visual aspect, of course)

Photo of porridge

I've previously done Savory Oats/Grains

Currently I like the cocoa ugliness mentioned above, with about one tablespoon cocoa powder and then enough very mild sweetener to just negate the bitterness. Perhaps a teaspoon or so, plus what stevia is present in my protein powder. Of course, salt is added to help the chocolate flavor....

Steel-cut oats freeze wonderfully after being cooked, so if that 45+ minutes is daunting, just make a massive batch and freeze in single portions to be defrosted and topped with condiments of choice... (works for many grains, like barley, et cetera)

Andrea

http://foodpart.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Count me in as a porridge junkie.

Usually old-fashioned oat meal cooked with walnuts, raisins and honey.

Sometimes, for variety, I'll use dates or mixed chopped dried fruit.

Topped with plain yoghurt.

One good trick is to substitute all or a portion of apple or other fruit juice for the water. Very tasty.

I recently got some wheat germ, which I intend to toast and use as an additional topping. Haven't tried it yet, so we'll see about that one this week.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Based on recommendations in past blogs I have recently been eating oatmeal made with steel cut oats. I will never oatmeal made from any other oats again. Fabulous. My favourite toppings are salt, brown sugar and heavy cream. Yum Yum!!

It sounds like I should also try stiring in a nut of butter... next time.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Salt in the porridge, treacle [molasses] on the porridge. Just enough milk to allow the porridge to be consumed at otherwise mouth-burning temperature. If the porridge is runny enough to actually absorb any of the milk, well, you must be doing something wrong :smile:

That's what they fed me growing up in Scotland. Oddly, I like it much better now than I did then...