• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster farm tourism

When I was in Seattle last week I wondered if it was possible to tour an oyster farm and learn about the various cultivation techniques and possibly eat a bunch of oysters for cheap. Many wineries have such programs, some even have "resort" facilities like hotel rooms, spas, etc. I searched online, found nothing and gave the Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association a call. They said that most of the farms are small family-owned operations and just don't have the capability to offer tours.

Are there bigger oyster farms that offer public tours in other parts of the world? Would you go to one?

Kent, Hi....

Hie thee not to a nunnery but to Bretagne (the Brittany coast) in France. None of the oyster beds have facilities for overnight but many will gladly show you around, offer the opportunity for some marvelous tastings (matched with good wines!!) and the area is full of charming small inns.

On a recent Dirty Jobs one of the jobs was "geoduck farmer" (pronounced "gooey duck" - it's a type of clam) at Taylor Shellfish (which seemed like a pretty large operation - they're on the Peugeot Sound). I thought it was a pretty interesting segment on the show. At the end, the host went to Xinh's Clam & Oyster House to eat his geoducks.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

i hate to point out the obvious, but there's not a lot to see at an oyster farm. it's under water. that said, Taylor Shellfish in Shelton has a company store at their plant where you can sample whatever they're pulling that particular day. pretty much everywhere you look as you're driving along the water there, you're looking at oyster beds.

On a recent Dirty Jobs one of the jobs was "geoduck farmer" (pronounced "gooey duck" - it's a type of clam) at Taylor Shellfish (which seemed like a pretty large operation - they're on the Peugeot Sound). I thought it was a pretty interesting segment on the show. At the end, the host went to Xinh's Clam & Oyster House to eat his geoducks.

This episode really made me want to try my hand digging gooooeyyyducks. Looks fun

:smile:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

This episode really made me want to try my hand digging gooooeyyyducks. Looks fun

:smile:

Heh, not me! Well, probably not for very long. I was totally blindsided by geoducks - I had no idea there was such a creature. They really are bizarre. Amazing they can live up to 135 years too.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

i visited the hatchery where they start the little baby geoducks. they're actually cute. a whole tray full of them waving their probiscises in the air. it's funny: i remember going through chinatown in the early '80s and they were practically giving geoducks away. now, they're a very pricey ingredient.

Just found out there's another episode of Dirty Jobs where they visit Taylor Shellfish yet again, but this time it's the job of oyster shucker. Nowhere near as interesting and it doesn't fill much of the show, but the oysters were huge (one of which a camera man ate). That's a dedicated woman doing that same job for 18 years!

There are a number of companies in BC offering shellfish farm tours.

Clearwater marine tours out of Campbell River of Vancouver Island runs a couple of them but for the most part many shellfish farmers are more than happy to give you a tour if you ask nice.

I personally find them much less snobby than vineyard tours as the fishermen and women tend to be salts of the earth.

If you are interested try www.clearwatermarinetours.com or just go out to your local oyster farmer and ask.

I find a cold six pack of beer often helps with the persuasion. :laugh:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Saveur has an article in the Sept. issue about Vancouver. They talk about grilled oysters wrapped in Alaria seaweed. Looks fantastic!! They even tell you how to get the seaweed. Has anybody done this? Do you know anything about this seaweed?

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

i hate to point out the obvious, but there's not a lot to see at an oyster farm. it's under water. that said, Taylor Shellfish in Shelton has a company store at their plant where you can sample whatever they're pulling that particular day. pretty much everywhere you look as you're driving along the water there,  you're looking at oyster beds.

I have to echo russ here.

When I was running my oyster bar I drove up to Mook Sea Farm Damariscotta, Maine to pick up a bushel or two of their delicious oysters. The guys gave me a tour of the facility, which had an industrial look and feel. Lots of square vats with hoses and compressors that maintained the proper environment for oyster spat and juveniles before they were placed in underwater trays out in the river nearby. We walked down a gangway to the dock where a couple skiffs were unloading some dive gear and a few buckets of oysters. We shucked a couple, proclaimed their undeniable superiority of the species and that was pretty much it.

They have a farm stand cooler down a dirt road where you can buy some of their harvest. Hours are flexible and I think you have to ring a bell for some help. No shop, no wine pairings. Their sign on Route 129, Walpole, is on the small side so look carefully if you plan to stop in..

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I'd like to learn more about the various cultivation methods. Elliott's Oyster House in Seattle lists the cultivation method in addition to the source of each of their oyster varieties, some of which sound really cool: Japanese lantern net, deep culture, rack and bag, intertidal beach, dike grown.

Japanese lantern net

If I recall, this item is baited to attract sea urchins up in Hokkaido. The net is pulled up after 5(?) days and re-set.

I found a photo of a fellow taking scallops with one.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

i hate to point out the obvious, but there's not a lot to see at an oyster farm. it's under water. that said, Taylor Shellfish in Shelton has a company store at their plant where you can sample whatever they're pulling that particular day. pretty much everywhere you look as you're driving along the water there,  you're looking at oyster beds.

I have to echo russ here.

When I was running my oyster bar I drove up to Mook Sea Farm Damariscotta, Maine to pick up a bushel or two of their delicious oysters. The guys gave me a tour of the facility, which had an industrial look and feel. Lots of square vats with hoses and compressors that maintained the proper environment for oyster spat and juveniles before they were placed in underwater trays out in the river nearby. We walked down a gangway to the dock where a couple skiffs were unloading some dive gear and a few buckets of oysters. We shucked a couple, proclaimed their undeniable superiority of the species and that was pretty much it.

I have to say I'd walk across hot coals if I thought I'd get some freshly popped Wellfleets or some Chesapeake Bays of my youth. Don't know about seaweed but a smoldering fire, a grate, some burlap, and drawn butter..Ymmm..Oops. I'm suppose to be reading and learning here.... Sorry for the outburst , just couldn't hold back.

well, one of the things about oysters is that they do travel fairly well (they're still alive, after all). still, there is something about popping them when you can smell the salt air. of course,my favorite place to do that is on the back porch at hog island in ferry plaza.