• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feeding the New Neighbors

bavila

We were very sad to see our former next-door-neighbor leave in May, especially because she was a fellow cook whose pantry I could raid and with whom we shared many meals and other cooking experiments.

The new neighbors (Mom and Dad in late 30s or so, 15yo son, 13yo daughter) are here, and we've invited them over for dinner on Friday. I have no idea of their palates (though I've tried to sneak peaks when they were unloading from a grocery run). The told me they had no food restrictions.

Here's my plan: serve burgers (non-intimidating on several levels) and some homemade brownies for dessert. To test out their palates, though, I thought I'd throw a more discerning side or two to see their reactions.

What have you served for new neighbors or friends when you don't know their tastes? Have you used dishes as information gathering devices?

Bridget Avila

My Blog

For homemade and interesting sides, I'd do a twist on the traditional. Instead of boring potato salad, make one you couldn't buy at a deli. Same with macaroni salad and cole slaw. Roast corn on the cob, rub or serve with olive oil and sea salt instead of butter. Have some intesting toppings for the burgers -- green chilies, a decent swiss, cheddar or jack cheese, or peanut butter (goober burgers (melted peanut butter)) -- instead of jarred relish, American cheese, or ketchup & mustard.

Then guage their reactions to these items. Do they notice that the sides are homemade? Does mom or dad ask for recipes? Do the kids complain about the cheese or make faces at corn?

As for new neighbors, instead of cooking for them, I've delivered summer bounty from my garden. That is always appreciated. Although you need to put the note on the outside of the bag. One time a neighbor's grandkid answered the door and took the bag for them. He told them about it, but he didn't remember my name. They didn't find the note inside the bag until several days later, when she finally called to thank me for it. :smile:

Where are they from? Other side of town, other side of country, other side of planet?

If it's from a distance away, I'd try to focus on local dishes and ingredients. A kind of a "welcome to our town" sort of thing. But if they're local, then something more exotic, a sort of a "welcome to my hobby" sort of thing.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Where are they from?  Other side of town, other side of country, other side of planet?

If it's from a distance away, I'd try to focus on local dishes and ingredients.  A kind of a "welcome to our town" sort of thing.  But if they're local, then something more exotic, a sort of a "welcome to my hobby" sort of thing.

That sounds like a great plan of attack Jaymes..

Where are they from?  Other side of town, other side of country, other side of planet?

If it's from a distance away, I'd try to focus on local dishes and ingredients.  A kind of a "welcome to our town" sort of thing.  But if they're local, then something more exotic, a sort of a "welcome to my hobby" sort of thing.

I love that. "Welcome to my hobby." Priceless.

They are from the central valley of California. He told me the name of the town but it escapes me.

Crab mac-n-cheese....hmmm....that could be killer.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I tried this in reverse when I moved into a new, very social neighborhood last year. Although I adore my neighbors, I've been rather sad to realize that their palates are a bit, shall we say, undeveloped. They seem to love things I make--smoked trout spread for a Christmas party, flatbread roll-ups with roasted peppers and goat cheese for game night, potato, corn and yellow cherry tomato salad with a basil vinaigrette for a fish fry this past weekend----but I don't detect any particularly "foodie" types here. Things like green bean casserole and ready-made hors d'oeuvres from Sam's seem to be the norm. But, I digress :wacko: Just the simple act of breaking bread together is very welcoming, and I'm sure they will appreciate that. How about a homemade cinnamon or peppermint ice cream to go with the brownies? Or slice up some different heirloom tomatoes to go on the burgers?

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

• 2 weeks later...

Have you decided on what to cook yet? It's always kinda funny to feed people from different walks of life. For example, I grew up here in Asia, eating tofu prepared in all sorts of different ways. I went to visit my Aunt in North Carolina and ate with her at her neighbor's house. It was the first time they had tofu so they wanted to invite us over, and they just boiled it and served it with a little soy sauce. They couldn't believe how "exotic" it was :D

I went with basics -- burgers on some nice buns. Apps were homemade guac (neighbor husband got points for picking up on the cumin) and various chips and nuts. I made a very nice corn, green bean and tomato salad with toasted hazelnuts (from summer 2005 F&W). Dessert was brownies and vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure what happened with my brownies, but they were a caramelly mess -- not supposed to be caramelly at all!

So here was the funny part. I'd made a point of asking neighbor wife in advance if they had any food restrictions, and she'd said no. Then over dinner she says she's allergic to shellfish! :blink: Good thing I didn't go with the crab!

My assessment is that they are definitely not foodies, but not overly picky.

So still no replacement for my former foodie neighbor. :sad:

Bridget Avila

My Blog

We like to take things over while they move in. We try to give it a bit of a local flair if we can--King Ranch Chicken, Green chili chicken enchaladas or a Prudhomme pork loin always make a hit. They don't have to stop to fix dinner or run out to eat.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.