• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Philly with a picky 17 year old

She explained to me how nachos & fries with cheese sauce were disgusting but "disco" fries were acceptable.  Disco fries = diner fries with mozz & brown gravy.

Interesting. I've never heard of "disco fries".

Fries with Brown Gravy = WETS

Fries with melted Whiz = Cheese fries

I'd probably call disco fries Wets with Cheese.

Anyhow. Let us know next time you're coming. I'll try and start saving up suggestions for foods that would appeal to a disco fry lover. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had never heard of disco fries either, but I want some.  It's almost poutine...

Funny, as a former teen diner rat from the 80's, I had never heard of disco fries either. My daughter and her friends speak of them as if they've always been in existence here in northern NJ. Upon closer inspection, I see them listed as disco fries on diner menu's (as opposed to just being teen-speak) Of course, the only thing better than disco fries are the mozz stick, chicken finger & disco fries WRAP they're selling at one nearby diner.

I had never heard of disco fries either, but I want some.  It's almost poutine...

Of course, the only thing better than disco fries are the mozz stick, chicken finger & disco fries WRAP they're selling at one nearby diner.

that sounds just wrong! but then again who am i to judge i used to eat poutine piled on hamburger roll

does anyone know where to get poutine in philly?

I spent plenty of time in North Jersey diners as a teenager, during the disco era I might add, and I've never seen anything called disco fries before.

I'll second the motion that the wrap just sounds wrong on so many levels.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I spent plenty of time in North Jersey diners as a teenager, during the disco era I might add, and I've never seen anything called disco fries before.

how can it be wrong when it feels so right?

:laugh: Wiseass! (I hope that was said with an appropriate deep baritone nod to Barry White :cue strings:)

But seriously. Does three kinds of processed junk in one wrap sound right to you??? And we wonder why we're a nation that's morbidly obese... :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

:laugh: Wiseass! (I hope that was said with an appropriate deep baritone nod to Barry White :cue strings:)

But seriously. Does three kinds of processed junk in one wrap sound right to you??? And we wonder why we're a nation that's morbidly obese... :wacko:

There's a discussion of "KFC Famous Bowls" currently going on in General Food Topics. You want a mélange of incompatible junk thrown together in one dish, this is the genuine article.

Going back to whitetrufflechick's first comment, though, yeah, I have a hard time understanding the subtle sophistication and discriminating taste that deems cheese fries or nachos gross and not-quite-poutine okay.

I think we need to see if we can discover the origin of "disco fries," though. Obviously it's kind of like hip-hop--something invented to throw us old fuddy-duddies off balance.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I have a hard time understanding the subtle sophistication and discriminating taste that deems cheese fries or nachos gross and not-quite-poutine okay.

Yeah - I was thinkin' that too.

I think we need to see if we can discover the origin of "disco fries," though. Obviously it's kind of like hip-hop--something invented to throw us old fuddy-duddies off balance.

I agree, but where to start for research?? Hey Truffle, could you ask the diner owner what the heck "disco fries" is about? There must be a reference we're missing...

And speak for yourself. I might not be the svelte disco queen I was back in the day, but I don't think of myself as a fuddy duddy. Quite. Yet. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

But seriously.  Does three kinds of processed junk in one wrap sound right to you???  And we wonder why we're a nation that's morbidly obese... :wacko:

Actually, it sounds intriguing to me, as long as the stix & fingers aren't overly fried, but they probably are.

And if I want a heart attack, who are you to prevent me from doing whatever I can to get one?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

But seriously.  Does three kinds of processed junk in one wrap sound right to you???  And we wonder why we're a nation that's morbidly obese... :wacko:

Actually, it sounds intriguing to me, as long as the stix & fingers aren't overly fried, but they probably are.

And if I want a heart attack, who are you to prevent me from doing whatever I can to get one?

Hey. Knock yourself out. I'm a libertarian and will defend to the death your right to eat whatever you want, regardless of how utterly disgusting I might find it to be.

It's also within my rights to question your sanity. And this is hardly the first time you've given me reason to do so... :raz:

Does it really matter how fried the sticks and fingers are??? :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I agree, but where to start for research?? Hey Truffle, could you ask the diner owner what the heck "disco fries" is about? There must be a reference we're missing...

I thought about this for a minute and realized that the enlightenment we seek can probably be found right here...

...over in General Food Topics.

And speak for yourself.  I might not be the svelte disco queen I was back in the day, but I don't think of myself as a fuddy duddy.  Quite.  Yet. :wink:

My brain tells me the same thing.

My right ankle, to name one body part, occasionally reminds me otherwise.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Within the last hour I have gone from never having heard the term "disco fries" to seeing them mentioned twice!

Here and a review of the Tick Tock Diner in Clifton NJ.

Their sign, rightly so, encourages folks to EAT HEAVY.

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

WhiteTruffleChick, you've got to get together with some eGulleters next time, let your joyful teen fend for herself wherever you end up. Just say"Here's the menu, go to town" and let us eat and enjoy with you! I met up with MartStEl and we had a great meal together!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

WhiteTruffleChick, you've got to get together with some eGulleters next time, let your joyful teen fend for herself wherever you end up. Just say"Here's the menu, go to town" and let us eat and enjoy with you! I met up with MartStEl and we had a great meal together!

absolutely! sounds like a plan....