• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Embarrassing restaurants

Despite the best will in the world to be cutting edge gourmets, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there myself included who enjoy going to restaurants that they'd be ashamed to admit to. Now is the time to come out and tell us all that you love Macdonalds :blink:

To start the ball rolling, I'll admit that I enjoy Pizza Express especially the capriciossa with a chilled Peroni sitting outside the Dulwich Village branch that is sometimes all I need, plus they are great with kids.....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

The american hot is the king of pizzas.

It fits a time and a place, the places are buzzy & staff generally good, wines ok and got to give them credit for introducing the uk to peroni!

maybe i feel obliged to go as i seem to spend a signifcant part of my professional life discussing the merits of the company

you don't win friends with salad

there's a fish and chip shop - the quality fish restaurant - in richmond near where i work to which i'm devoted. not only is the food brilliant - they take the skin off the fish, something i've rarely found since leaving scotland - but the decor is a miracle of dark wood veneer seventies gorgeousness that would have wallpaper magazine foaming at the mouth. i am usually the youngest person there by decades.

my italian mother likes pizza hut ...

under extenuating circumstances (hangover) i can truly love a kfc zinger burger.

for this last, i apologise.

Indeed, wandering around London Bridge station before the last train home, even Burger King (anything they have left) is devoured with relish....and I do love those crayfish sandwiches from Pret but maybe I shouldn't be ashamed about that.

Higher end restaurants I liked but have been lambasted on here somewhere include the Lindsay House, Nahm and Hakkasan....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Wimpys

Wetherspoons

Brewers Fayre

Little Chef

Motorway service stations

They're just off the top of my head. I've been bluffing on here for too long, it's time to come clean :blink:

McDonalds

Burger King

KFC

Wimpys

Wetherspoons

Brewers Fayre

Little Chef

Motorway service stations

They're just off the top of my head.  I've been bluffing on here for too long, it's time to come clean  :blink:

You forgot the Paddock Wood Grill Mixed Kebab :biggrin::biggrin:

Indeed, wandering around London Bridge station before the last train home, even Burger King (anything they have left) is devoured with relish

reminds me of the time i was eating a Ginsters cornish pasty after one too many sherrys. I bit into a large clump of hair which was inside the pasty, I just discarded the hair and ate the rest :sad:

Can you add your work place cafeteria's to the list?

God awful slop they serve us poor fellows.

Have you ever stood in the queue - turned your nose up at the goo and then been told off by the Chef.

Well I have.

I know it is rude and normally I have an abundance of manners, but purrlease.

Not over salted, over cooked and dried out from the lights !

My gripe....after having eaten at a number of client site's canteen!

Ooooh I feel all better now its out of my system.

Excuse me for my mad little rant!

Oh yes and I am partial to the odd Fillet O' Fish From Ronnies :blush:

However I have totally disallowed chicken nuggets to be eaten in my presence after i found out what crap was in them. YUK!

H

Indeed, wandering around London Bridge station before the last train home, even Burger King (anything they have left) is devoured with relish....

I confess, me too!!

I'll also buy chicken croissant things from the place next door.

Simon......Little Chef!.Christ on a bike.i,ve eaten a load of crap in my time ,but even i draw the line at Little Chef.Hang your head in shame!

Giggling Sausage Cafe in Northampton...now thats an All Day Breakfast!

Love it !

the maharani curry house on clapham high street, one thing i cannot stand is the current fad of curry snobbery...i don't want tandoored quails with caviar and quince chutney you poltroons...

I WANT A CHICKEN TIKKA DANSHAK WITH PANEER AND ONE OF THEM NAN'S WITH MYSTERIOUS RED MINCE INSIDE...AND DON'T FORGET THAT RAINBOW COLOURED RICE!

...and am quite fond of a dalek shaped ice cream...plus on the entertainment side one of the waiters has the most extraordinary irish jigs in the history of baldness.

and who doesn't like the following all available at tuppeny happeny hostelry's: brown derbys, cola floats, milkshakes made with powdery mixes, gammon and pineapple rings...show me a man who doesn't enjoy sinking his nashers in to a bacon double cheeseburger at BK and i'll show you a liar!

You forgot the Paddock Wood Grill Mixed Kebab :biggrin:  :biggrin:

But I'm not embarrassed about that, it's good stuff. Actually I'm not really embarrassed about any of them, they all serve a purpose especially when I'm out on the piss.

Chips. Open. With salt & vinegar. Daintily pinking at great big hunks of deep-fried tater with one of those silly little wooden forks. While staggering home after an immoderate number of pints.

It just always makes me feel so bad.

Edit: But in a good way, of course.

All fair points Thomas, but i,m sorry  Pineapple is never good hot.Ever

I'll challenge you on that, Basildog - I think pineapple is a fine thing when sugar-dipped and grilled on the barbecue 'til the edges are crisp & caramelised. Serve with a scoop of ice cream - I've tried vanilla, coconut, and white chocolate, and all have been good. Yum.