• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grow Asian Greens? Your Dream Garden?

mudbug

I know markets have a better selection than they did 20 and 30 years ago. But there is still plenty of produce out there that is difficult to find locally unless it's home grown.

Anyone have gardens for this purpose? Any pics to share?

Even if you don't, what would be in your dream garden?

Living in California, many older generationers like to grow vegetables in the backyard. The younger generationers would rather not, as vegetable gardens are usually not as visually appealing and the backyard/garden is more of a place for retreats - trees, flowers, shrubs, grass... more so than vegetables.

Many Chinese vegetables are suitable to be grown in California. And we have plenty of Asian markets in a lot of places. So growing our own vegetables may not be as desirable/practical. When living outside of California where Chinese vegetables are not easy to find, they are not easy to grow there either. :wacko:

My FIL grows only one kind of vegetable in his backyard: Gau Gai (wolfberry plant? Chef Dejah... help!). That species I have not seen sold in the Asian markets here so far. He harvests some every week or so and use it to make soup (with pork and salted eggs).

My wife's aunt grows winter melon in her backyard. Though home-grown, the melons are huge (about 10-15 lb). Every year when we get together for year end dinner gathering, she would give away a few melons to each party. Taste great!

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

My FIL grows only one kind of vegetable in his backyard:  Gau Gai (wolfberry plant?  Chef Dejah... help!).  That species I have not seen sold in the Asian markets here so far.  He harvests some every week or so and use it to make soup (with pork and salted eggs).

My wife's aunt grows winter melon in her backyard.  Though home-grown, the melons are huge (about 10-15 lb).  Every year when we get together for year end dinner gathering, she would give away a few melons to each party.  Taste great!

I THINK gau gai is called wolfberry( gau gai); at least, the one variety that yields the red berries is called wolfberry ( gau gai zee) . The one your f-i-l grows is just gau gai. I have never heard of it being sold in stores. I get bagfuls from the elders in our Chinese community. This year, I rooted the stripped stalsk and stuck then in a sunny spot in my flower bed. I will have my own supply next spring, altho' I don't knwo why I bother! :rolleyes:

Our growing season is not long enough for winter melon or dow jai, both are my favourites. The ladies DO vie with eachother for the biggest mo gwa, fu gwa, snow peas, gai choi, choi sum, and a shorter version of dow jai. They always share their bounty with us. The mo gwa they grow are the size of a newborn baby!

We were out at our country home today. The wolfberry bush that has been growing for 20 years is still hale and hearty inspite of rampant grass.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I intersperse my vegetables in with the perennials.

Gau Gai has the common English names of Chinese Wolfberry and Chinese Boxthorn.

The is Botanical/Scientific/Latin Name which will be identical all over the world is Lycium chinense. It has numerous medicinal attributes.

My plant is three generations old. Anyone who grows this should prune it to two feet off the ground in the fall or early spring.

Of all gardeners out there, only 10 percent are vegetable gardeners, fewer grow Asian vegetables. However, there are more and more vegetable gardeners experimenting with Asian greens.

It is actually quite easy to grow most greens in most of the US, especially if you plant for a fall crop and since most are in the cabbage family, they can go well into late fall if grown in a cold frame. Tatsoi can actually be harvested after freezes so can be harvested all winter.

Dejah,

Where are you located? North I assume?

Dejah,

She lives near the North Pole. :wink: At least much closer than I am. :biggrin::biggrin:

Take a look at her profile brief (on the left under the screen name).

Dejah,

She lives near the North Pole. :wink: At least much closer than I am. :biggrin::biggrin:

Take a look at her profile brief (on the left under the screen name).

Ah Leung is a cheeky silow! :angry::laugh:

I am on the Canadian prairie, close to the border with North Dakota. When we lived out in the country, I had a huge garden with raised beds ( in my hippie days :wink: ). Then, I grew mostly bak choi, gai choi, snow peas, kolhrabi, gau gai, bak hap, spinach, a big variety of herbs, and lots of flowers ( to wear in my hair... :laugh: )

Now, we are in the city, and I have limited space This is all dedicated to flowers except for a small corner with Chinese chives, gau gai (this year) and bak hap. Our stores, Safeway and Superstore carry most other varieties.

A new little Chinese/Latin grocery store opened recently. They have lemongrass, fresh curry leaves, Vietnamese herbs, tiny fiery fresh peppers, ong choi (too expensive), so I am happy!

Chinese/Latin, you ask. :blink: We have a large pork processing plant in the industrial park. They have been "importing" workers from Mexico, El Salvador,and China to fill the shifts. 61 single Chinese men just arrived last week, and they are expecting another hundred or so in the new year. They are permit workers now. After one year, they can apply for landed immigrant status under our provincial nominee program.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My mother's friend grows red spinach and we pick it when it is still young.  The kind in the markets isn't the same.

How is it not the same? Is it a different variety? Or is it simply older?

My mother's friend grows red spinach and we pick it when it is still young.  The kind in the markets isn't the same.

How is it not the same? Is it a different variety? Or is it simply older?

The kind in the markets is older, larger and doesn't taste quite as tender, IMO.

The kind in the markets is older, larger and doesn't taste quite as tender, IMO.

mvpbonds,

Is it the same as the plant being discussed in this thread?

It's well known among gardeners that harvesting just about any vegetable when it is younger is more pleasing to the palatte in terms of flavor and texture.

[...]They have been "importing" workers from Mexico, El Salvador,and China to fill the shifts. 61 single Chinese men just arrived last week, and they are expecting another hundred or so in the new year.

Chef Dejah: It is time to get out of retirement and open up another Chinese restaurant again! :laugh::laugh: These people need to some homey "chow". Or how about you catering for them, with weekly gau gai tong?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

mvpbonds,

Is it the same as the plant being discussed in this thread?

It's well known among gardeners that harvesting just about any vegetable when it is younger is more pleasing to the palatte in terms of flavor and texture.

Yes, I am talking about "Yin Choy." Just had some this weekend.