• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fig on Meeting Street in Charleston

hazardnc

I will be in Charleston for a couple of nights next week and want one moderately upscale dinner out. We visited Rue de Jean last trip and were not that impressed - everything was too salty.

The NY Times did an article in March, and the writer recommended Fig among others. How does this compare to Hominy Grill in quality?

I will be in Charleston for a couple of nights next week and want one moderately upscale dinner out.  We visited Rue de Jean last trip and were not that impressed - everything was too salty.

The NY Times did an article in March, and the writer recommended Fig among others.  How does this compare to Hominy Grill in quality?

I have not been to Fig, but have eaten at Hominy Grill. After looking at Fig's website and comparing with what I know of Hominy Grill, I think you would be greatly disappointed with Hominy Grill as a "moderately upscale" dinner out.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

My favorite rest was Basils but you gatta love Thai food :)

One of my buddies is working out at a place called Sienna in Daniels island, its supposed to be pretty good. I think the Chef was a sous chef at the Four seasons in chicago. He has also cooked at the beard house, can't be too shabby.

I've eaten at FIG once and had his food at a chef event another time. I liked it very much, particularly a roast pork dish of bits of meat formed into a loaf, wrapped in caul fat and browned. I have had feedback from people who didn't like the service, but no one who hasn't liked the food.

If you were looking for other possibilities, I'm always excited by the food at SNOB.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I've eaten at FIG once and had his food at a chef event another time. I liked it very much, particularly a roast pork dish of bits of meat formed into a loaf, wrapped in caul fat and browned. I have had feedback from people who didn't like the service, but no one who hasn't liked the food.

If you were looking for other possibilities, I'm always excited by the food at SNOB.

Thanks for that info - in all the years I have been going to Charleston, I have never eaten at SNOB. Perhaps this year it will be only a beer on the deck at Bowens followed by dinner at SNOB.

Charleston is tough on only two nights - and a couple of folks who can't eat more than one big meal a day

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I had a wonderful meal at Fig last Thursday night. I had a fabulous starter of seared pork belly over carrot puree which was wonderfully crunchy on the outside and buttery tender on the inside. We both loved our entrees: hanger steak and sweetbreads. My husband wants to know how the chef was able to make the pureed potatos so creamy and smooth. I was not fond of the rice pudding - a signature dish. I found the cherries added a bit of a "Dr Pepper" flavor to it.

Only real complaint is that our waitress was less than helpful on wine suggestions. I am not wine proficient, and look to the restaurant to make helpful suggestions. She was obviously not much more knowledgeable than I.

On a side note: we had a very good appetizer at Fleets Landing - fried green tomatoes stacked with crab salad. Excellent - loved the views there. We were not very hungry, so other than the above mentioned item, we only had cold steamed shrimp, so I cannot comment on the rest of the menu.

I also LOVED the farmer's market Saturday morning. We had a great ham and cheese croissant from Normandy Bakery and bought squash blossoms (I never see them here in Charlotte), tomatoes, some fabulous pickles, butter beans and peaches. The line for the crepe man was very long, so I guess they must be good.