• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Ingredient May Fight Prostate Cancer

Gifted Gourmet

article here

main ingredient in beer may help prevent prostate cancer and enlargement, according to a new study. But researchers say don't rush out to stock the refrigerator because the ingredient is present in such small amounts that a person would have to drink more than 17 beers to benefit.  Oregon State University researchers say the compound xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a specific protein in the cells along the surface of the prostate gland. The protein acts like a signal switch that turns on a variety of animal and human cancers, including prostate cancer.

Oregon State University research

Good news, guys, right? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

17 average American beers? I'm pretty sure that 17 12oz cans of Bud have had less hops brewed into them than one or two pints of the popular superhoppy Imperial India Pale Ales out there. Get a 6-pack of Stone Brewing Company's Arrogant Bastard, or better yet, Wild Bill's Alimony Ale... either of them will get you your RDA of hops in short order.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

There is some good evidence that the lycopenes in tomato products help too - so the beer should be used to wash down copious amounts of pizza or tomato pasta perhaps!

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

There is some good evidence that the lycopenes in tomato products help too  -  so the beer should be used to wash down copious amounts of pizza or tomato pasta perhaps!

I know ... check out this thread on how effective mixing broccoli with tomatoes can be:

Gentlemen, start your casseroles! :huh: and, now, I guess, wash it down with (several) beers! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"