• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you make stock from smoked chicken?

zoe b

Being a frugal cook who must use every speck of food up, it kills me to ditch a carcass--but I'm wondering if the stock would take on unpleasant flavors--I've gotten rid of all the skin, which holds the most smokiness.

Obviously, the stock could only be used for certain things--but I'm imagining cooking beans in it, or making some kind of peasant soup.

Anyone have advice?

Zoe

Absolutely make smoked chicken stock (and yes, tossing the skin was a great idea). I use it in soups, bean dishes and gumbo. It's also nice to have for reheating smoked butt -- just a little bit with the butt in foil in a low and slow oven...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yes, of course.

One of the replaying scenes in my life is the fight that occurs on the Friday after Thanksgiving when my mom, my brothers, and I get into heated negotiations over the turkey carcass once it has been picked clean.

She wins alot. What are you going to do?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

good news--I'm gonna go throw em on the stove now. And gumbo sounds strangely interesting, too....

yes, it's sad, but you feel funny beating up your mom to get the turkey bones, don't you?

Z

good news--I'm gonna go throw em on the stove now.  And gumbo sounds strangely interesting, too....

yes, it's sad, but you feel funny beating up your mom to get the turkey bones, don't you?

Z

Well, probably not at the time, but, eventually, I'm sure that I would feel a twinge or two of remorse. So, I just take the easy route and let her have the carcass.

Besides, she makes a pretty passable gumbo with it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Besides, she makes a pretty passable gumbo with it.

now you have me obsessing about gumbo--we have a big family get together this weekend--everyone's coming home to build a new dam for the pond.=-=-and food will be a big part of the fun--

a giant gumbo will be perfect for dinner. And that gumbo thread just magically popped up--I love this place!

Z

[

a giant gumbo will be perfect for dinner.  And that gumbo thread just magically popped up--I love this place!

Z

Next time, I will up the smoked stock and probably replace all of the chicken stock with the smoked stuff.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I don't even both to throw the skin away. Heck, there's a lot of good flavor in that skin. I can't think of a batch of poultry stock I've made in the last six years that didn't have either smoked chicken or smoked turkey in it.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I don't even both to throw the skin away. Heck, there's a lot of good flavor in that skin. I can't think of a batch of poultry stock I've made in the last six years that didn't have either smoked chicken or smoked turkey in it.

I dont throw the skin away either, for the same reason (I'm VERY stingy with anything that has a lot of flavour, even if it is a miniscule quantity - does that make me a Flavour Miser?). When the stock is cooled in the fridge you can lift the block of fat off, leaving the flavour behind.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

"I dont throw the skin away either, for the same reason (I'm VERY stingy with anything that has a lot of flavour, even if it is a miniscule quantity - does that make me a Flavour Miser?). When the stock is cooled in the fridge you can lift the block of fat off, leaving the flavour behind. "

I usually keep the skin on, too--but these smoked chickens were smoked at a little too high of a temp and the skins were really black--not in a good, slow-smoked way, but in a carbonised full of carcinogens way.