• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

guava glazed chicken

handmc

I have some guava, I have two chickens, I have never tried the two together but it works real well with pork.

I am concerned when I put the chickens on the rotis that it might burn because of the sugar content in the guava. I plan to make a basting liquid of guava, limes, garlic, carmelized onions and salt and pepper.

Anyone tried to cook chicken with guava before?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I do a guava mustard chicken using guava paste. Just combine equal parts dijon mustard and guava paste in a sauce pan and gently melt, stirring as needed. Keep warm while you saute/broil/grill your bird. I generally don't put the sauce on the bird 'til after it comes off the fire, but you could if apply it when you've only got a minute or so of cooking left, so as not to burn. Some deep fried onions on top is a great complement (and I won't complain if you sprinkle it with a little of the canned fried onion). Use a squeeze bottle to create a dijon mustard design on the plate, if you want to be fancy.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Wow that sounds great.

--------------------

Guava paste is great. Easy to make a glaze with it. Works well on chk or beef. Take care if grilling since it can burn quickly.

Here's one of my favorite things to do with guava paste. I take a can or two of chipotle in adobo and mix with guava paste using a stick blender. Makes a nice smokey sweet hot sauce.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

"can or two of chortle in adobo" what is that?

Is it like Chipotle Chilis or am I way off.

The idea sounds interesting, just not sure of what I need to mix together.

--------------------