• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

De Lorenzo's Tomato Pies-Trenton

Rosie

There is a review of this restaurant in the Sun. NY Times which stated that this restaurant does

not have a bathroom. Isn't that illegal and/or against the health code? I never heard of a restaurant

not having a bathroom. :huh:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You don't say if this is a new restaurant or one that has been in business for some time. Regardless, it seems to me that not having a bathroom couldn't be illegal or in violation of the health code since before a new restaurant opens, it has to be inspected to make sure it conforms to state and local codes. If there is a problem, the restaurant can't open. And if this place has been around for some time, inspections still take place. So, if it were violating a law requiring a public bathroom, then it would not be allowed to continue to operate.

This restaurant has been in business forever. The lack of bathroom was grandfathered in. It has never had a bathroom (for the public). This was the pizzeria of my youth. Until they had a fire (must have been 25 years ago) they used an old coal or coke-burning oven that added that certain carcinogenic je ne sais quoi. The pizza crust, made in the new oven, was not the same the one time I had it since the fire, although the quality of the toppings was still very high and the crust was well made -- thin, but chewy. Not until I had pizza in New Haven did I find pizza that equaled De Lorenzo's. (I am assuming that the review was of the restaurant by that name on Hudson Street in Trenton. There is (or was) another De Lorenzo's in Trenton whose pizza was not nearly as good. Oh yes, "pizza" was unheard of. It was "tomato pie."

When I was growing up, the story was that this place made the first pizza in America.

Rosie, what did the reviewer have to say?

I've been to Lorenzo's Tomato Pie in

Trenton. It's a Pizza parlor, not a true restaurant. There are a few tables, but basically they just serve pizza. People sometimes take cards and play while they're waiting for their pizza to be cooked. It has been there for many many years, and no it doesn't have a bathroom, nor do they serve anything to drink, not even soda. Is this a restaurant? Karla Cook gave it the same rating she gave The Frog and The Peach in New Brunswick!!! Go figure :blink:

I still don't get the way the Times online handles its New Jersey reviews. I can't find this one for love or money.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There is a bathroom, in the kitchen...years ago my son was able to use it, maily by grabbing onto the frontof his shorts, and jumping about..he was 5. There is also definitely soda. There are a few Lorenzos only one Lorenzo's tomato pies.

Note that the place is DeLorenzo's. Lorenzo's is a clubby steak place near the train station frequented by politicos. Used to have terrific fried calamari, but I haven't been there in years. There are multiple DeLorenzo's pizzerias in the Trenton area. Many people like the Hamilton avenue location. They have a better selection of toppings, and a more welcoming demeanor. The pizza's not nearly as good as the one on Hudson street (which is my local pizza place). I think it's the best pizza in Trenton, especially the quality sausage and pepperoni (not necessarily together), and excellent crust. I don't think it can hold a candle to Pepe's in New Haven.

As far as bathrooms and the law go, in the Burg, all laws go out the window. Had DeLorenzo's opened yesterday without a bathroom, I'd bet there would be no problem.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Shaw is absolutely correct, its DeLorenzo's...don't know what I was thinking. Lorenzo's is a cigar filled steak place by the Train station..used to be the Trenton powerhouse place, but has been replaced by Marsilieo's. I've had great steaks at Lorenzo's, but ugh the ventilation sucks.

Shaw is absolutely correct, its DeLorenzo's...don't know what I was thinking.  Lorenzo's is a cigar filled steak place by the Train station..used to be the Trenton powerhouse place, but has been replaced by Marsilieo's.  I've had great steaks at Lorenzo's, but  ugh the ventilation sucks.

When I was growing up, the steak place near the station was called Pete Lorenzo's. Marsilio's a power place? Wow! It used to be a family red-sauce place, very homey. Maybe it still is. You're making me homesick.

I don't think it can hold a candle to Pepe's in New Haven.

Maybe not now, buy years ago, with the old oven....mmmmm.

Edit: Just read the review. CLAM PIES! CANNED CLAM PIES! I love clams in New Haven and even at Lombardi's on a good night, but at DeLorenzo's! How dare they. I'm offended and affronted. :angry:

Shaw is absolutely correct, its DeLorenzo's...don't know what I was thinking.  Lorenzo's is a cigar filled steak place by the Train station..used to be the Trenton powerhouse place, but has been replaced by Marsilieo's.  I've had great steaks at Lorenzo's, but  ugh the ventilation sucks.

When I was growing up, the steak place near the station was called Pete Lorenzo's. Marsilio's a power place? Wow! It used to be a family red-sauce place, very homey. Maybe it still is. You're making me homesick.

yes, Pete Lorenzo's is the complete name....his partner, Anthony Merlino. left the partnership and opened his own place, more suburban, up on Rt 29 on the way to New Hope...in Ewing. I was at Lorenzo's 3 months ago, in May, for a Torecelli fundraiser ( before the ethics thing, thank you). The place was oficailly closed, as it was a Sunday. I ordered a Cosmo at the bar, and had a brief conversation with the tender about my upcoming 4 day VAYKAY to NOLA. Fast forward, 3 mos later...meeting another couple for dinner, waitng at the bar. Ordered a cosmo, commented that "they make them so good here"....and the bartender asked me about my NOLA visit! HOW GOOD IS THAT????Yes, the place has the worst ventilation, and the cigar morons are taking over the place, but what a nice service accolade! Very rare, in the land of suburbs and sameness!! God, I'm starting to think about mylife with the same disdain as the NY board..No. not...