• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat and Morality

After reading these responses, I had to click on the link to read the thoughts of this crazy man. But I thought his opinion piece was interesting, and when he says things like this:
The case for eating meat is like the case for other traditions: It's natural, it's necessary, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I can't see him aligned with PETA. Maybe I'm missing something.

That said, I don't like the idea of growing meat. I don't like the idea of continuing to slaughter animals like we do now either. I'd rather see slaughtering be a safer (for humans) and more humane (for animals) than it is now.

I also would like to see us return to the day where we respected the animals we ate by using every last bit of it. If you are going to eat its meat, then use its skin and bones for clothing and other such items.

But overall, dogs don't have a problem eating a steak and then hanging out with me, and I don't have a problem eating a steak and then patting a dog. And if I was going to have a problem with eating meat, it would have to do more with the energy used to produce it (it takes 28 calories of fossil fuel to produce 1 calorie of beef) than any ethical or moral dilemma caused by playing with Fido or watching a thoroughbred win a race.

I would venture to guess that "we" do use every part of every animal slaughtered for food.

(at least every part that one could find a use for).

as for slaughtering being more "humane" --yes within reason.

Unfortunately, this subject is fraught with our silly anthropomorphism. Animals should be killed quickly and cleanly--that's it--end of subject as far as I am concerned.

I recently watched the documentary (I forget the title) wherein a maladjusted human thought he could live with and commune with grizzly bears. He was eventually attacked and eaten (along with his girlfriend). The nonsense about horse and dog whispering aside--animals are....animals they respond instinctually.

By the way the poor fellow's death was not very "humane."

In the end--animals are not "equal" to humans. They have no "rights" unless we assign them. Animals certainly do not assign us any rights.

Edited by JohnL (log)