• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Whisky Tasting

dsoneil

Just to let those who are interested in whiskies, I am doing a review of twelve Canadian whiskies. Why? Because I've always wondered whether Canadian whiskies are a uniform spirit, created in one unique style, or whether they have unique characteristics between brands that stand out beyond the normal description like bourbon and scotch.

Throughout the month of June I will be reviewing twelve, maybe more, Canadian whiskies. I've decided that for my own information I would taste each of these brands and compare them to each other and some "standards" like Jameson and Jack Daniels. I like Jameson, but hate JD, so this was not an easy task.

Hopefully this will give some direction to people interested in this whisky category and clear up a few things about Canadian whisky. If that doesn't interest you, the tasting of JD might amuse you.

The whiskies on the docket include:

Crown Royal Special Reserve

Forty Creek Barrel Select

Alberta Premium 100% Rye

Danfield’s Private Reserve

Tangle Ridge Rye

Schenly OFC

Gibson Finest 12

Wiser Deluxe

Royal Reserve

Seagrams VO

Canadian Club 12

Walker’s Special Old

Reviews can be found on The Art of Drink weblog.

Edited by dsoneil (log)

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps