• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless steel wok?

I see that All-Clad makes one.

Is there a disadvantage to stainless steel over the traditional cast-iron? The multi-ply construction is substantially heavier but it seems like it will distribute the heat better. Perhaps the biggest difference is that it will not have the non-stick properties of a seasoned wok, but can't this be simply compensated for by using more oil when stir-frying? Stainless steel is also lower maintenance and easier to clean. Most professional Western kitchens have adopted stainless steel over cast-iron, is there a reason why Chinese kitchens should not as well?

Will stainless steel develop wok hei?

I would think a stainless steel pan would need to be cleaned thoroughly with each use so you wouldn't be able to build up any flavor.

If you don't care about that, then I think a stainless steel wok would be great even with the flat bottom.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A cast-iron wok serves as a heat sink more effectively than the tri-clad. And The All-Clad 14 inch wok with no lid costs $150 on Amazon. A carbon steel wok would probably work about as well as the All-Clad, for about 80-90% less.

We bought one of these for my mother and I think it's works fine for what it is. It holds heat pretty well and yet is not nearly as heavy as cast iron. Carbon steel is preferred for stir frying, but that works best with a powerful gas burner. I an have electric stove, and my carbon steel wok has difficulty holding its seasoning on the sides of the pan due to the the heat reaching only the bottom. Hence, I have to reseason more often than I would like. Stainless is also good for steaming and braising, which also tend to eat away at the seasoning.

In my experience, wok hey is more a function of the intensity of heat and technique rather than type of pan. I know of many home cooks (including my mom) who produce excellent Chinese food using regular stainless.

In my experience, wok hey is more a function of the intensity of heat and technique rather than type of pan. I know of many home cooks (including my mom) who produce excellent Chinese food using regular stainless.

Exactly.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Exactly.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Cook a dish in a new stainless steel wok. Then cook the same dish in a well-seasoned wok. I say there will be a notable difference in taste between the two.

I believe that difference is wok hey.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think a difference in technique would make it difficult to use a SS wok in the same manner as a carbon steel wok. Western meat cooking relies on letting a piece of meat stay in contact with a relatively cool pan for an extended period of time to build up fond. Wok cooking relies on pieces of meat being in constant motion against a much hotter pan with not much fond production.

SS is fine for the first because meat will stick at first but then naturally release when an adequate sear has been achieved but not the wok method because meat will stick and tear rather than stir fry gracefully.

PS: I am a guy.

SS is fine for the first because meat will stick at first but then naturally release when an adequate sear has been achieved but not the wok method because meat will stick and tear rather than stir fry gracefully.

Umm, go back and look at all of hzrt8w's recipe demos. This is why the velveting technique is important.

Wok cooking relies on pieces of meat being in constant motion against a much hotter pan with not much fond production

A common mistake is to have the meat in a wok in constant motion. The meat will tend to be "boiled" in its juice rather than stir-fried.

I didn't know you are supposed to put the meat onto a cold pan?! :shock: You mean all these years I've been ruining my meat by putting them onto a hot pan? :laugh:

As sheetz said, velveting is an important step. Also, by coating a hot wok (whether SS or carbon steel)with oil will keep the meat from tearing.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com