• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lateral Wine Bar & Grill

jwjojo

Haven't been there since they re-opened. Prior to that they had a wine list that was pretty scant and mediocre for a "wine bar." Food was ok to good but portions were small and expensive. 3 shrimp in their appetizer for 10 bucks.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Where is this place?!?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I went with a group of friends for drinks and appetizers. The food was very good and so were the drinks (we did not have wine so I can't comment on the selection). The atmosphere is great and the staff was attentive.

i'm with richl2214. unless they've completely revamped their approach and wine list since i was last there about 2 years ago, i'd say Lateral is very much worth missing. for a good time walk across the street to the Franklin Steakhouse. leave your wife/girlfriend/daughter/mother at home, though.

Edited by tommy (log)

My bf and I stopped in Lateral for a drink on my b-day before our dinner reservations, and enjoyed the atmosphere, so we made reservations for V-day. When he made the ressie, he asked if it was a limited menu and was told 'no'. Well, of course it was, very limited may I add, to the point where there was absolutely nothing we would or wanted to eat on the menu. We got up and left, and wound up eating at Ralph's Tavern for V-day! :rolleyes:

I ate at Lateral this past Thursday evening, which, unbeknownst to us, is 'steak night'. We were very disappointed with the service, and the food wasn't that great either. We weren't seated, we had to seat ourselves, which wasn't difficult, considering there were 2 other tables occupied, and 2 couples at the bar (IDK how this place stays in business, whenever I pass by, it's that empty). We weren't given water, there were a couple of tables that were bussed, but not cleaned, and stayed that way for the duration of our meal. We weren't given appetizer plates, and wound up using our bread plates for the app. You may ask why we didn't address these issues, but for as not busy as the place was, our server was absolutely non-existent. He was in the back nearly the entire time, and the only other staff, the bartender, was so engrossed in conversation with a couple at the bar. I had asked about a dish that I had seen on the menu previously, hoping they could prepare it, and we were met with an 'oh yeah, the menu changes a lot'...ok...

The glass of reisling I had was very good. The appetizer, ricotta and artichoke dumplings, were more like croquettes, deep fried and breaded, and came with a tasty marinara sauce. The sauce was boiling hot, the dumplings were cold in the middle. My bf asked me 'are they supposed to be cold'? Still not quite sure, but I didn't ask for fear of the waiter's brusque attitude again...For our entrees, he ordered one of the steak specials, a 12 oz strip with a bourbon sauce, garlic mashed and asparagus. The asparagus was absent, replaced by a mixed veg of summer squash, cucumber and carrots, no biggie, he prefers that to asparagus. The gravy - eew - tasted like Heinz brown gravy with something sweet added to it. The steak was cooked to temp and was tender. I ordered peppercorn crusted seared ahi tuna served over spinach. The spinach was overly salty and overly garlicky. The ahi was flaming spicy hot from way too much peppercorn, I kind of cut off the sides and ate the rare middle part. The tuna was fresh, however.

Long story short, I wouldn't return, except for a drink at the bar, because it's quiet and they have nice TV's. The chef seems to be heavy-handed with the seasonings, and the service is definitely lacking...too bad, because there really are limited 'nice' restaurants in Nutley, and I try to avoid going to Montclair frequently b/c of the parking (although there are a couple of exceptions to that rule!)

Hope this helps.