• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets in Phila.

The Rittenhouse Square farmers' market was supposed to have started up today. Any reports?

Earl Livengood says he'll start this week at the Tuesday afternoon (beginning at 3 p.m.) market at Passyunk & South. The following week he'll start going to Fairmount & 22nd on Thursdays, same start time.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

today was the rittenhouse row festival; i didn't see any farmer's market. but i did have a kobe slider from barclay prime, a lobster salad baguette from nineteen, and pork ginger chive potstickers from twenty manning.

today was the rittenhouse row festival; i didn't see any farmer's market.  but i did have a kobe slider from barclay prime, a lobster salad baguette from nineteen, and pork ginger chive potstickers from twenty manning.

Bad enough my pockets are empty.

Now I have to read this.

And wait a whole year for the next such opportunity.

:sad:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back in Philadelphia and ready to cook, I headed over to my local farmer's market at South & Passyunk for the first time in a year.

In some ways, nothing has changed since the last time I was shopping. Mainly the same vendors, though fewer of them. I'm guessing, though, that that's because it's still a little early in the year; later in the summer and into the fall, when the produce really picks up, I'm hoping that more folks will be there. Still, plenty for me to get some good beans, mint, peas and tomatoes for dinner, as well as a dozen eggs.

Livengoods was there (hooray!), with some stuff I don't remember them selling before. A couple of coolers of beef, for one. But more exciting was, of all things, a live snapping turtle. We're talking twenty pounds of pure remorseless reptilian fury; it doesn't come any fresher than that, people. So, pretty exciting, though as I told them, killing and butchering a snapper is a little bit above my pay grade...

Still, they're around until 7 PM, for anybody who wants to pick that bad boy up. Turn him into soup and you'll win massive glory. At least from me...

Livengoods was there (hooray!), with some stuff I don't remember them selling before.  A couple of coolers of beef, for one.  But more exciting was, of all things, a live snapping turtle.  We're talking twenty pounds of pure remorseless reptilian fury; it doesn't come any fresher than that, people.  So, pretty exciting, though as I told them, killing and butchering a snapper is a little bit above my pay grade..

And a hearty welcome back from me, too, Andrew.

As for that turtle, Sam Consylman has been threatening to bring in a snapper - sorry I didn't get down to South Street today to see it. A week or so ago Sam brought some chicken-fried groundhog (I think it was Gus, Pennsylvania's Second Most Famous Groundhog) for favored customers to try. Not bad at all, though sparse in the meat-to-bone ratio.

"Farmer Duane" (Earl's son) has been selling beef and, iirc, pork, since last fall. Another vendor at South Street, Tom Forrester, is usually there selling pork and lamb. The pork is a Berkshire-Tamworth cross. I picked up the lamb pepperoni a couple of weeks go. Because the casing is so tough, it's not pleasant to eat it out of hand, but when sliced and put on pizza, it crisps up beautifully and tastes great. I also tried the pork chops and they were very good, but I prefer the Country Time pork sold at the Fair Food Farmstand at the RTM.

Please correct my Latin if I'm wrong, but: Vesco ergo sum

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

As for that turtle, Sam Consylman has been threatening to bring in a snapper - sorry I didn't get down to South Street today to see it. A week or so ago Sam brought some chicken-fried groundhog (I think it was Gus, Pennsylvania's Second Most Famous Groundhog) for favored customers to try. Not bad at all, though sparse in the meat-to-bone ratio.

Sam! That's right, I couldn't remember his name. A really funny guy; he cracks me up. I bought a bunch of baby poke from him last year; very tasty, and I only discovered later that poke is something that can, um, kill you. Between that and the snapping turtle, I'd say that Sam is a facilitator of truly dangerous dining...

Please correct my Latin if I'm wrong, but: Vesco ergo sum

Vescor is the form you want, but yep, that sounds about right...

Whee!

I hit the markets at 15th & South and the Fountain Farmers Market at Passyunk & Tasker in South Philly today. On South Street I found a nice seedless cucumber and a couple of nice green zucchini at 3/$1.00, a pint of cherries for $3.25 and a pint of apricots for $2.00. Once I made it to the other market in South Philly the cherries were $2.50! :angry: I did get six mixed white and yellow peaches for $3.00 at the Fountain market once I calmed down over getting rooked on the cherries.

There was a great fresh meat and dairy vendor and some nice flowers at the Fountain Farmers Market too. This is right up the street from Cantina El Caballito and the bonus is there's a public parking lot on the 1600 East block of Passyunk (facing the Cantina in fact) that you can avail yourself of. Entrance from either 12th street or Passyunk. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol