• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory New York: new features in the guide

Gothamist

Savory New York homepage

Savory New York, created by husband and wife team Christopher and Jennifer McBride takes the classic online restaurant guide one step further. In addition to basic facts and information about atmosphere, noise level, signature dishes, and links to other reviews, Savory New York brings us video profiles of restaurants.

Would viewing a video profile of a restaurant:

(1) entice you to eat there?

(2) turn you off as far too gimmicky?

(3) neither of these options ...

What are your thoughts on this new feature? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The video option is really cool. Although they don't have a huge selestion at the present, I'd love to see this concept expand. It would entice me to visit a place I had not yet seen and offers an preliminary insider's view to many of the city's best-known restaurants.

I think it is great the video on Craft renewed my interest in visiting that restaurant. It conveys some information that is not otherwise readily available.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It might, if the ambiance were part of the dining decision. For instance, if I were looking for a romantic room to celebrate an anniversary, the video might tell me a lot more than any written description ever could.

It might, if the ambiance were part of the dining decision. For instance, if I were looking for a romantic room to celebrate an anniversary, the video might tell me a lot more than any written description ever could.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, I wonder how much a good video is worth? I was impressed with the sample on Craft.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz