• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adios to bad college kid drinks -or-

Gigi4808

As promised in the Drinks bartenders hate to make thread, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I would go to my then local chili's and get a deadly combo of steak fajitas for dinner and a drink called an Adios Motherfucker (or AFM if you prefer). Yes, it was as ghastly as it sounds, but having dealt with 14 hours+ of the worst humanity has to offer a sodium rush combined with the buzz of cheap well alcohol can be better then Prozac and less expensive then a few hours at the firing range.

The AFM for those who may not know is pretty much a Long Island Iced Tea with Blue Curacao instead of triple sec and and Sprite instead of Coke. If made well it is a bright Kool-aide shade of blue and like a Long Island Iced Tea it is very easy to drink way to much before you realize what you have done to yourself... and if you are like me and have the bartender on your side- who I should point out knew that:

A: There was going to be a seriously large tip in it for him -and-

B: That I was not driving

Well if you have got a bartender who likes you he will skip the Sprite in flavor of extra vodka (um gee not that I did that... ok yeah busted I did). I hadn't had an AFM in years and after talking about it so much recently decided that it was time for a trip down to my now local Chili's.

So Friday night we ambled over to the Chili's. Once seated in the bar we had a great waiter and I probably should have heeded his many attempts at suggesting that I would prefer a margarita- but I was on a quest dammit so an AMF it would be. When the AMF made it's way to me it sadly did not live up to the memory. It was the pale blue shade of watered down store brand "I Can't Believe It's Not Windex", there was too much Sprite and alas I am sure he used gin instead of vodka (and I know there are many of you that love gin- I am just not one of them) it was in a word: sad. It really did live up to all the stereotypes of a bad college kid drink- or worse a bad girlie college kid drink.

There was some redemption however. I was not leaving until I had a good drink and since the waiter was pushing the margarita's so hard I told him to bring which ever one he liked best and he did bring back with him what is probably the best margarita I have ever had. It didn't have that cheap tequila after bite, it wasn't frozen AND it didn't have one of those sissy girlie fruit flavors. Also in one of the best marketing gimmicks ever they serve it to you in a small (I would say 4 oz) martini glass and you pour your own "refills" from a plastic tumbler, do you get more drink for your buck this way- no, I am sure it is just the normal 16 oz portion but it does give the illusion of value because you can "refill" your glass several times and I could see how that would be a genius move. All in all that was actually good enough to go back for and made it a good dinner...

Well almost a good dinner, the fajita's themselves were the salty, rubbery strips of "Meat" I remembered them to be, but since they are just an excuse to eat sour cream I had no problem looking the other way.

Soon it'll be warm enough for you to order a Sex On The Beach.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I have never been able to stand those. I could scrape the barrel again and go for a Tokyo Tea- which is an AMF with Midori in place of the Curacao.

Ugh I am sickend by myself even knowing what this crap is...

At least I am not as bad as a coworker I had who's shot of choice was called a "Purple Hooter" or the other coworker who would only order "Muff Dives"- People that is what happens when your only knowledge of cocktails comes from TGI Fridays.

Edited by Gigi4808 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I was taught that at bartending school, but we called it a "Screaming Blue Motherfucker."

At my favorite bar in Korea, I showed the bartenders how to make it. It quickly became popular, and I had free drinks for almost a year.

Chili's Margaritas

I bartended for a while a Chili's. I don't remember the names of the drinks, but I remembered there were some killer margarita combinations in the bunch. The one they gave you was the one that the waitrons and bartenders are told to push. And, yeah, it's good, and the shaking tumbler gives it a bit of theater, like the sizzling fajitas.

But there's one margarita on the menu that would kick your ass. I don't remember the name, again, but it was named after some type of storm. Not a Hurricane. Not a Typhoon. I don't remember. It was stacked with more alcohol than any other margarita, and it was mostly top shelf stuff, like Grand Marnier instead of Triple Sec.

As much as I hate corporate T.G.I. McChilibee's restaurants, I was impressed with how tightly the Chili's system was run and how everything from the booths to the lighting to the bartending and waiting styles were thoroughly thought out -- planned -- to relax the body and excite the senses.

Edited by ZenKimchi (log)

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

I think you probably had the Presidente margarita, or a very close cousin. It IS a good margarita as it's made with good tequila and Cointreau. I had a couple last year at a fundraiser function, and liked them very much, though If it wasthe same thing, I got the bartender to drop the brandy and to add fresh lime juice (that was a chore). I LOVED the self sreve shaker!

If one finds themself at Chili's, the premo margarita isn't a bad way to go.

Thanks,

Kevin

"Presidente Margarita®

Shake up your day w/our distinctive, hand-shaken Margarita made with Sauza® Conmemorativo Tequila, Cointreau® and Presidente® Brandy."

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

You can't pay me to eat at Chili's, I who am from Austin have so many better choices; but, I will drink there... for a sure hangover,

Margarita Presidente

1 (1-1/2 or 2) ounce(s) Sauza Commemoritiva Tequila

1/2 ounce Cointreau

1/2 ounce Presidente Brandy

1/2 ounce Rose's lime juice

1/3 cup sweet and Sour mix

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with crushed ice. Shake. Pour into a martini glass rimmed with salt. Serve the remainder of the drink in the shaker on the side.

I actually got off my butt and went to the Chili's web site. The big margarita is the "El Nino." Herradura Reposado tequila, GranGala, Cointreau and fresh orange juice.

Yeah, I remember having to squeeze fresh orange wedges in the drink. It also has 2 oz. of alcohol, where the others have 1.5 oz. Goes very well with the Mushroom Jack Fajitas and the Chipotle Blue Cheese Burger (if that's still around).

One of the cool things about that Chili's job I had was that it was a new restaurant opening. They brought these guys in from Orlando to teach us how to flip and juggle bottles and accurately pour blindly. The big thing was for two nights they had us taste EVERY SINGLE THING on the menu.

One girl threw up from overeating.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog