• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastern North Carolina Pulled Pork

GRITS

"I thought about brisket, but they're kind of expensive and I pretty much only get them for the holidays. I was hoping there might be a (kind of) inexpensive kosher cut similar to a butt that might work."

Beef ribs cook up very well using a low and slow type barbecue method and they can often be had cheaply.

• 1 month later...

okay - so I have officially tried it again. I cut most of the fat off and I soaked my pork butt in a brine of molasses. kosher salt and water for 6-8 hours. I patted it dry and put a pork rub spice mixture all over it.

And now it has been in the oven since 2pm (it is 5:10pm) now and the internal temperature is 160*.

I want to make sure it is at pullable stage at 190*, so when do I take it out of the oven? Oh yes, I put aluminum foil loosely over it when it got to 160*.

I hope someone reads this quickly, otherwise I am at the mercy of my ignorance!

I will tell you how it turns out!

(yes, I know I shouldnt be doing it in the oven).

If it has the bone in...its done when it can be wiggled free, otherwise 190 is the target temp

oven, crockpot, gas grill, weber kettle, offset smoker, I have done em all...they're all good. not all perfect but all good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks!! It turned out GREAT~!!! I did not remove it from the oven until 190* internal temperature. The bone pulled right out and I am enjoying delicious barbecue! YUMMY!

If it has the bone in...its done when it can be wiggled free, otherwise  190 is the target temp

oven, crockpot, gas grill, weber kettle, offset smoker, I have done em all...they're all good. not all perfect but all good

tracey