• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian "Flat White" coffee

Lonnie

I just read the following in the April 26, 2006 "New York" magazine:

"Mention American coffee, and your average laid-back Aussie gets all worked up like Russell Crowe attempting to dial overseas. Their quintessential cup, the flat white, is a strong, smooth espresso drink - less milky than a latte, and not as foamy as a cappuccino. It's done to perfection at Ruby's, a lively Aussie hangout (219 Mulberry St.; 2212-925-5755), and it's turned up recently in Fort Greene, where expat Basquali (he goes by one name) has opened the cafe Smooch (264 Carldon Ave., 718-624-4075)."

This sounds like the cup of coffee I'm always looking for and can never find in the U.S. (okay, in the cities in the U.S. where I go). I have had it in Spain, I had it last year at Caffè Italia (6480 St-Laurent) in Montreal - it was their cappuccino. Of course, "less milky" could mean quantity, flavor and/or texture. Anyone know what this "flat white" is all about?

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

"Flat White" typically means 1/3 espresso and 2 parts of properly steamed milk - i.e. milk with a smooth silky texture but no extraneous extra foam. In the Syracuse area the closest thing you'll find to this is to order a Machiatto at Gimme Coffee or Carriage House Cafe in Ithaca. That will have closer to a 1 to 1 ratio. Or order a cappuccino at either place and have it there in a china cup. You'll get about a 1 to 3 ratio.

I'm going to be getting some proper porcelain demitasse cups soon of a size suitable for machiatto's. I round up a few area folks including you for a tasting once I have a proper place established where the beans are of my choosing and roasted exactly as I want them to be. That should all be falling into place over the next few months.

I'm going to be getting some proper porcelain demitasse cups soon of a size suitable for machiatto's.  I round up a few area folks including you for a tasting once I have a proper place established where the beans are of my choosing and roasted exactly as I want them to be. That should all be falling into place over the next few months.

Owen, you spoil us!

I think I've been ordering the wrong thing in Ithaca, although you can hardly actually go wrong there.

I wonder why I have never heard of a "Flat White" before. Is it really just Australian? Found in any other countries? Served named as such in any other cities in North America?

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

I think the "flat white" term is specific to Australian coffee culture as are a few other terms such as "long black". By the way... American style drip coffee is almost non-existent in Oz but espresso is widespread and typically of fairly good quality. Starbucks open about 30 stores in Australia over a 4 - 5 year period and ended up closing aout 10 of them becuase they weren't doing enough business. I love those folks (the Aussies that is).

From our languishing Coffee Glossary Project (that I promise to revive) we have this definition contributed by Eric Malson who lived in Portugal for several years:

Um garoto: a bica with hot milk. This is a normal shot (which fills about half the espresso cup), filled the rest of the way with milk, so it ends up being about half coffee, half milk. Garoto is Portuguese slang for "kid" (as in child).

That seems to indicate a similarity in ratio between the coffee drink you're seeking and a "flat white".

I'm thinking that the varietals and percentage sof them used to make espresso blends in Spain and Portugal may be quite different form thsao used to makme espresso blends in the US. It's already been noted elsewhere that the true Vietnamese coffee has a very distinct flavor unlike any other. Spain, Portugal and certain other European countries with a history of colonization sometimes have existing relationships with certain coffee growing countries and an established market for certain varietals. I know what goes into a number of Italian espresso bloends but am unsure about those of other countries.

This theory is supported by a comment in the Favorite Local Coffee thread in the PA forum. Member Capaneus comments on the fact that a few small cafe's in Philly brew espresso that tastes like what is served in Lisbon and quite unlike what is typically served in the US.

I'm going to be getting some proper porcelain demitasse cups soon of a size suitable for machiatto's.  I round up a few area folks including you for a tasting once I have a proper place established where the beans are of my choosing and roasted exactly as I want them to be. That should all be falling into place over the next few months.

Owen, you spoil us!

I think I've been ordering the wrong thing in Ithaca, although you can hardly actually go wrong there.

I wonder why I have never heard of a "Flat White" before. Is it really just Australian? Found in any other countries? Served named as such in any other cities in North America?

Lonnie

As far as I know yes. Another thing that seems to freak out Italians is that cappuccino always has cocoa sprinkled on top.

Edited by Syrah (log)