• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Now this is a question i ask most chefs i talk to. I am a huge fan of japanese knives. I dont think any other maker can even touch them. How do you feel about knives. Which do you guys prefer? For what reasons?

chopjwu12,

We share the same admiration for Japanese knives! I use a Nennox slicer made by a company called Nenohi. They have been making high quality knives forged by hands for years. Their custom handles, made of deer antler, have captured the attention of many. Just recently though, they have offered the same high quality craftsmanship with a black, durable plastic handle. I find that the blade has never nicked and stays very sharp for long periods of time despite heavy use.

For those of you interested in buying knives, I would say it is an incredibly personal decision. Thinking of your work space before choosing a knife is important! How wide is your cutting surface? Will the knife feel comfortable and be useful in the space you work in?

Buying a hand-forged Japanese knife is expensive. The knives are generally not mass-produced and are usually a specific blend of steel to form a cutting edge that is protected by outer layers of soft iron. Getting to know these knives is essential to maintaining a good cutting edge.

I enjoy using Japanese knives made in western styles. Along with Nenohi, Misono, Brieto, Gleistain, Mac and Ittosai are all companies that produce excellent knives.

By the way, in New York there is a great store that sells these and other knives at 57 Warren Street. The company's name is Korin.

Cultivate a good relationship with the person who sells you a knife,

they can always be helpful down the road in maintaing it.

Thanks for asking and please let me know if you have any favorites of your own.

Mike

Well im a huge fan of the damascus steel knives. They are made like samari swords used to be made. With the core metal and the softer steel folded over and over. It has a rainbow like finish on the knife. They are great and the sharpest thing on the face of the earth. I work them on my 4 water stones once a week and im all set. Thats the other thing. Do you use water stones to sharpen your knives or another technique. I think water stones are the best thing around. but only for the softer steel knives. The german steel will sharpen but i dont think as good and it takes half your stone with it.

chopjwu12,

I agree that regular maintenance using a waterstone is the best approach to keeping your knives in great shape. I use a traditional approach to sharpening my knives. The knife stays at a 20 degree angle to the stone at all times. I use my right hand to guide the knife and my left hand to apply light pressure at different points on the back of the cutting edge. I am sure you know this technique but for those of you who are unfamiliar with using a waterstone, I highly recommend a visit to Korin, at 57 Warren Street for a demonstration.

Mike