• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago restaurants - your top 5?

chopjwu12

nyokie6, it seems, from the initial list of considerations you provided, you're looking for a more formal setting.

However, in my experience, my best meals in Chicago have been anything but formal, they've been somewhere in-between:

North Pond

blackbird

NoMi (under Sandro Gamba, it may be equally as good under Andrew

Zimmerman; I can't say)

Avenues (under G. Elliot Bowles, I will be anxious to see how/what Curtis Duffy does as successor)

spring (albeit, I ate there four years ago)

avec (volume 15, crowded, but good)

Of the formal fine dining set, I would rank my experiences thusly:

Avenues

Les Francais (now defunct)

Les Nomades

Everest

Vie

TRU

Charlie Trotters (service was amazing)

moto

alinea

I've never been to Spiaggia.

I think the distinction between "formal fine dining" and "casual fine dining" is an important one, because it affects so many aspects of the experience - pricing (typically $200-300+ vs ~$100 per person including moderate alcohol, tax, tip), attire (jackets required for gentlemen vs business casual), menu (extensive tasting menus vs a la carte selections), etc. Based on these criteria, in the categorization above, I would move NoMI to the formal group and Vie to the casual group; Avenues, listed in both, belongs to the formal group, at least in its Bowles iteration. The price factor is why I named places based on price categories in my previous post above.

I really think that all of our formal places are excellent:

1. Alinea

2. Everest

3. Charlie Trotter's

4. tru

5. NoMI

6. Schwa

7. moto

8. Spiaggia

(?) Avenues - I would put it at number 2 under Chef Bowles, need to try it under Chef Duffy

For casual fine dining, here are my favorites (all in Chicago except where indicated):

1. Tallgrass (Lockport)

2. one sixtyblue

3. Michael (Winnetka)

4. Oceanique (Evanston)

5. Vie (Western Springs)

6. Aigre Doux

7. North Pond

8. Chef's Station (Evanston)

9. Blackbird

Incidentally, I ate at Avec a couple of months ago, and I was really unimpressed with the food. It wasn't bad, but there wasn't a single dish that wowed me. And that's quite aside from the noise level, the uncomfortable seats, the long waiting times due to the no-reservations policy, etc.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Tobi - You are a braver person than I am packing wine in your checked luggage. You obviously have greater confidence in your packing skills and the airlines than I do!

BTW - in terms of places like Blackbird and the like (the less formal places) for lunch - are reservations usually necessary on weekdays (we'll be eating a little early because we'll be on eastern time)? I usually prefer not to make lunch reservations - and see what the weather looks like in terms of deciding what we'll do and where we'll be on any given day. Would shorts be totally out of place at lunch? If it's hot (most likely in July) - I like to wear shorts for hours of walking outside.

Note that I usually try to cross-reference potential lunch places in terms of where we might be at lunch time. Unfortunately - I have an old copy of Flashmaps (2001). Will be getting the current version before we leave - but - as of today - the last edition is from 2004 (too bad - because it's an excellent guide - but not when it's 4 years out of date). Would order the current edition now - but I am hoping that by the middle of the year - perhaps there will be a new edition. Anyway - I am having some trouble finding a likely lunch suspect near the Art Institute - or in the River North neighborhood. Last time we were in Chicago we had lunch at Russian Tea Time - really quite a nice place for lunch - especially when it's cold outside (and our last trip - it was in the 40's - even though it was May!). Oh well - looks like a short cab ride from the areas we will probably be in to Blackbird.

I can't contribute much in terms of dining observations here (that's why I'm asking all the questions) - but I can tell those of you who will be visiting this summer not to miss the Jeff Koons exhibit at the MOCA. Robyn

BTW - in terms of places like Blackbird and the like (the less formal places) for lunch - are reservations usually necessary on weekdays (we'll be eating a little early because we'll be on eastern time)?  I usually prefer not to make lunch reservations - and see what the weather looks like in terms of deciding what we'll do and where we'll be on any given day.  Would shorts be totally out of place at lunch?  If it's hot (most likely in July) - I like to wear shorts for hours of walking outside.

I haven't been there for lunch. But it never hurts to make a reservation. My suggestion is that if you intend to "play it by ear", that you call the restaurant that morning - there's no harm in doing so, and they can either give you a reservation or tell you they're full, and either way, it can avoid an unnecessary trip there if they're full.

I don't know about the shorts, sorry (but that's something you could call them to discuss; most restaurants are happy to be frank about such things).

I am having some trouble finding a likely lunch suspect near the Art Institute - or in the River North neighborhood.  Last time we were in Chicago we had lunch at Russian Tea Time - really quite a nice place for lunch - especially when it's cold outside (and our last trip - it was in the 40's - even though it was May!).  Oh well - looks like a short cab ride from the areas we will probably be in to Blackbird.

Almost every nice restaurant in the Loop (where the Art Institute is located) is open for lunch. If you're looking for upscale contemporary American food (in the same genre as Blackbird) I would suggest Custom House, which is in the South Loop, about a ten minute walk from the Art Institute. Five minutes walk away is Vivere, in the Italian Village complex, for Italian food. If it's raining and you don't want to go far from the museum, consider Park Grill, right alongside Millennium Park, or you could get deep-dish pizza at Pizano's on Madison.

If you're in River North, my top picks for upscale contemporary American, open for lunch, are Aigre Doux, and Naha, whose chef is nominated for a James Beard award this year. Other good places in the area include Coco Pazzo for Italian food, Shaw's Crab House or Fulton's on the River for seafood, and the original Uno's and Due for deep-dish pizza.

Note that all of these places are open for lunch during the week, but some of them are not open for lunch on weekends; check their websites (or Metromix) for hours.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

BTW - in terms of places like Blackbird and the like (the less formal places) for lunch - are reservations usually necessary on weekdays (we'll be eating a little early because we'll be on eastern time)?  I usually prefer not to make lunch reservations - and see what the weather looks like in terms of deciding what we'll do and where we'll be on any given day.  Would shorts be totally out of place at lunch?  If it's hot (most likely in July) - I like to wear shorts for hours of walking outside.

The one time I went to Blackbird for lunch it was actually pretty dead. Obviously making a reservation couldn't hurt, but it may not be 100% necessary. I think you'll be fine there in shorts, especially at lunch.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I second the recommendation of The Gage for a lunch spot near the Art Institute...I've been there a few times. It's a cool setting, with anything from sandwiches to more ambitious fare (last week I had the lamb stew). It does get pretty busy in there after 12:15-12:30, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I love foie gras as much as the next guy, but whenever I visit Chicago I always make a point to visit one of Rick Bayless' restaurants. They're really, really good. The best authentic Mexican food in America, in my opinion. At least hit up Frontera for lunch, even if you don't want to spend a dinner evening at Topolobampo.

You won't be sorry if you appreciate Mexican cuisine. For real!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

At least hit up Frontera for lunch, even if you don't want to spend a dinner evening at Topolobampo.

FWIW - Like Frontera Grill, Topolobampo is open for lunch during the week, and the lunch prices are surprisingly similar to Frontera (unlike at dinner). And unlike Frontera, you can make an advance reservation at Topo.

Mexican food as good as in Texas and the southwest?

Yes, absolutely, and in some cases (e.g. Flamingo's Seafood as well as Topolobampo/Frontera Grill etc), even better. (I've taken several trips to/through Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico in the past few years.) Last time I was at Flamingo's, I had a grilled Chilean sea bass with guava habanero sauce and crushed pumpkin seeds that was to die for.

Sounds like you need to come visit. :biggrin:

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Thanks UE.

Unfortunately, I was looking for Sunday specifically and both Frontera and Blackbird are closed that day.

Both The Gage and Sepia are open, but I'm actually looking for a more unique/interesting/creative meal and less of a bacon-and-eggs standard brunch place. First choice was Trotter's - then blackbird/avec, Avenues, etc - just to give you an idea of what I was looking at. I know places like these being open for lunch on a Sunday are few and far between, but figured it was worth asking on eG. Any other ideas?

Ultimately, this is for a recommendation for someone in the restaurant industry in NYC that will be in Chicago for the first time and has an extremely limited window of free time - just Sunday lunch.

Edited by foodite (log)

The new Graham Elliot (which will open soon) will be open for Sunday brunch - not sure when (and you didn't mention the dates you will be in Chicago). This is a great question for Zagat - because restaurants that are closed Sundays have a little icon next to their name. Robyn

Thanks UE.

Unfortunately, I was looking for Sunday specifically and both Frontera and Blackbird are closed that day.

Both The Gage and Sepia are open, but I'm actually looking for a more unique/interesting/creative meal and less of a bacon-and-eggs standard brunch place.  First choice was Trotter's - then blackbird/avec, Avenues, etc - just to give you an idea of what I was looking at.  I know places like these being open for lunch on a Sunday are few and far between, but figured it was worth asking on eG.  Any other ideas?

Ultimately, this is for a recommendation for someone in the restaurant industry in NYC that will be in Chicago for the first time and has an extremely limited window of free time - just Sunday lunch.

North Pond (Sunday brunch menu)

North Pond eG forum

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

North Pond is an excellent recommendation. (Thanks, Alex!) As you can see from their website, the brunch menu is varied, not just eggs etc. The food, from James Beard Award nominated Chef Bruce Sherman, specializes in local and seasonal ingredients. And the setting, in the middle of Lincoln Park (the park itself, not just the surrounding neighborhood of the same name), is exquisite. It faces its namesake pond, with the city skyline looming over the opposite shore. The renovated building used to serve as the warming shelters for ice skaters on the pond.

Another of our "top tables" type places open for Sunday brunch is NoMI, Christophe David's restaurant in the Park Hyatt.

Our contemporary American restaurants serving Sunday brunch include Sweets and Savories in Lincoln Park and Sola in North Center.

Most of our steak and seafood restaurants are open for lunch on Sundays, serving their normal lunch menus. David Burke's Primehouse serves an interesting "American dim sum brunch".

All of these are much more than just "eggs and pancakes" type brunches. Check their websites for menus.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

we will be in Chicago in mid-september for 4 days.

3-4 nights are reserved for some of the "top 5" restaurants named in this thread - the question is: which ones?

Our shortlist so far consists of (if possible in that order, which seems like a nice "arc"

to me):

-Moto (5 course) *or* Schwa (3 course)

-Alinea (tasting)

-l2o (4 course; even though it seems a bit overpriced to me, in comparison...)

-Schwa (rather 9 course, depending on our capacity after the former days...) *or* Moto (5 course)

What do you think? It could well be that 1 has to go (we might need a night "off")

Any other ideas?

And how is it at l2o and Moto with short notice reservations on weekdays?

Thanks

Best

kai

Edited by kai-m (log)