• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

29 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Doesn't a pocketknife fold into its handle? Your Opinel probably has a sheath it's in, no?

26 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I believe the Opinel #10 is a folding knife.  I also have to say, that the styling is simple and aesthetically pleasing and absolutely unthreatening.  To me, it would be the perfect picnic knife.

Yes, the Opinel does fold and has a sliding lock to prevent damage or injury731068206_ScreenShot2022-08-25at7_18_35AM.thumb.png.6e87d5a39e150c92785cbb57b1947cba.png.   

The biggest problem with a pocket(book) knife is remembering to move it to checked luggage when traveling.

eta I notice that the pictured knife if INOX    Both of mine are vintage and carbon steel.    As a French woman told me, no need to wash them.  Just wipe them on a piece of bread.   The sausage or cheese fat is perfect protection.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Doesn't a pocketknife fold into its handle? Your Opinel probably has a sheath it's in, no?

17 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I believe the Opinel #10 is a folding knife.  I also have to say, that the styling is simple and aesthetically pleasing and absolutely unthreatening.  To me, it would be the perfect picnic knife.

Yes, the Opinel does fold and has a sliding lock to prevent damage or injury731068206_ScreenShot2022-08-25at7_18_35AM.thumb.png.6e87d5a39e150c92785cbb57b1947cba.png.   

The biggest problem with a pocket(book) knife is remembering to move it to checked luggage when traveling.