• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese shopping plazas on Washington Ave

herbacidal

Do any of the 3 Vietnamese shopping centers on Washington Ave in Philly have (presumably Vietnamese) coffee shops in them?

Thanks.

For vietnamese coffee, I have always gone into Ba Le on, is it 8th? It's on Washington.

Dough can sense fear.

IIRC, Ba Le is the bakery at the front of the shopping center at 6th.

Unless they've added seating, I don't believe they're what I'm looking for.

I'd prefer seating.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

IIRC, Ba Le is the bakery at the front of the shopping center at 6th.

Unless they've added seating, I don't believe they're what I'm looking for.

I'd prefer seating.

Why not just go around to the back and sit in the restaurant? You mentioned coffee shops — surely there are at least a dozen places that vaguely fit the description of a place in which you can get various kinds of Vietnamese coffee down that way.

The restaurant is theirs? I always thought it was someone else's.

It's also been a while since I've been to Ba Le, at least a year.

I suspect there's more than a few, I just don't know specifically where.

I was hoping there was one in the shopping plazas to make directions easy for someone.

I think I know of one on 8th I've been in, but it's been a while, and I was thinking if I had to give specific directions, etc. etc.

Anyway, moot point now.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The restaurant in the back of Ba Le, which was once Le Cyclo (Bizarro) is now Pho Ba Le. And I've definitely seen folks drinking Viet coffees in there, as well as bubble teas.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Herbacidal, there are several Vietnamese places on 8th just north of Washington Ave that have seating of varying amounts and serve coffee -- Cafe Huong Lan and...can't remember the name of the other, but it's right there. Cafe Nyuh, on Christian at 8th, has the best bahn mi, but not enough room to sit. And there's Cafe Cuong, Catherine-ish on 8th...never been there, so I don't know how big it is inside.

Ba Le has expanded and now has seating at the 6th and Washington Plaza, and of course Pho Ha is in the back of that shopping center.

At the 11th and Washington shopping center, you have Nam Phuong and Viet Huong and Pho75. A new bakery just opened on the 11th Street side, also.

The new place, O Sandwiches, is a cute place for coffee, IMO. It's at 9th/Federal/Passyunk.