• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoppy Brew Years Eve

eje

Celebrate Brew Years Eve

Why Brewers Celebrate April 7

While the full repeal of Prohibition came on December 5, 1933, an amendment to Prohibition legalized beer with 3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4.0 percent by volume) starting on April 7 of that year.  In fact, the first public delivery of beer went to the White House to honor Franklin Delano Roosevelt who had won the presidency in part because he favored repeal.  From April 7 on, the country’s brewers were back in business and Americans enjoyed legal beer for eight months before wine and spirits were once again legitimate.

We'll be celebrating with a growler of Blind Pig from Russian River Brewing.

What are you drinking tonight?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Anchor Porter and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot- just a smidge over that 4% AbV :cool: We've come a long way, baby!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Good line up! I had Tuppers Hop Pocket and Victory Hop Wallop.

Yards Love Stout, and what a great name... We have some of that, but one of the bottles we opened had uncontrollable head. What is it about stouts (or is it their names, lol) with that?

The 4th homebrew we made was 4-Play Stout, and it had uncontrollable head (got infected.) Remember the days of the Burgess Bedroom Brews, RP? Now I am content to read about Chris's, Michael's, and others' homebrewing. If only I could sample some homebrew, though... It's been a long time.

Hoppy Brew Year!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.